What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

annnoying bugs

This is what i just saw since I don't have Mylar on the sides of my terrarium yet to keep it warmish I used a towel then after oa couple of weeks I noticed some tiny grey bug on the side of the tank now I put foil around my tank for temporarily and don't know what is going to happen. If the stupid bugs come again what should i do??? also i think it is because of the light.I want to get rid of the bugs without killing them because then I will feel sorry because of Religous Reasons.

Ugh... that's annoying, and I don't mean the bug problem.

xvart.

are they pill bugs? I've had them lurking around before but never saw them do anything to my plants, but then again, I never let them get close. They like wet and humid, low light conditions.

Polywer, of what religion are you? Maybe i can help if i know your beliefs...

can you describe the bugs? do they seem to be causing any damage to your plants?

my guess is they're harmless. and it's easy for us humans to get squeamish about bugs, whether or not they're dangerous. they might even be helping your plants by eating rotting material or fungus or things like that. or, of course, it could end up plant food.

the truth is, you may not be able to get rid of the insects, especially if you don't want to kill them. And even if you did, more would surely take their place.

if I were you, I'd just let it be. unless, of course, it were harming my plants.

Buddhist Adam I am Buddhist and they are not pilbugs they fly are annoying and don't harm my plants but annoy me they attract so many that it looks like a grey blob when i didn't have my terrarium i would see them once in a while now i see them everywhere i think there from the forest park i live next to?I think they are gnats that love light

Um a miniture bug vacuum ???
Or insects that eat the pill bugs then they served a purpose..
Don't shoot me I am just trying to help

bug vacumm cool i'll search that up and when i suck up the bugs i'll put them out side:-O

You don't want to kill bugs because of religious reasons... so you choose to grow bug-eating plants? Makes sense to me!

Maybe hanging up flypaper is OK since you wouldn't be directly killing anything. Or a bug zapper. You wouldn't be killing anything unless you physically placed them in the traps. If you had a bug zapper, you could even use the dead bug bodies for your plants. Or spray something insects are repelled by. Citronella oil or something.

polywer,
there are approximately 243,523 bugs living in your terrarium..
243,419 of which you cant see with the naked eye.

dont worry about it.

its natural..they arent harming anything, and there is no way you can get rid of them all.

Scot

Um a miniture bug vacuum ???

actually..... do a search for "entomology aspirator" or "insect aspirator". basically it's a jar with two straws coming out the top. one, you stick in your mouth and suck. (usually there's mesh or a filter at the bottom so you don't suck up the bugs or other nasty things. that scene in Coneheads where Prymaat is vacuuming...that's what you're trying to avoid.) the other straw use to suck bugs into the jar. then you can take them outside and release.

you can buy them from a commercial biological supply company or make your own.

but again...more bugs will surely come and take their place. it might help temporarily reduce a large population, but you'll have to keep doing it every once in a while.

You don't want to kill bugs because of religious reasons... so you choose to grow bug-eating plants? Makes sense to me!

Sounds like accessory to murder °1

I find the defendant... guilty

What kind of plants do you have? Get something like a butterwort or drosera, something they'll stick too... and if that doesn't work... fly trap... of the stickius yellowus tapius species

Good luck...

there are approximately 243,523 bugs living in your terrarium..
243,419 of which you cant see with the naked eye.

lol. Now that's precision.

xvart.

Back