What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Terrarium Q's, Subtropical Greenhouse-style

Ive aquired a 30 gallon tank (L35" W14" H12") and have been inspired by the subtropical terrarium in 'the savage garden' p42. I would like to grow mostly subtropical sundews, mexican subtropical/temperate pings and subtropical terrestrial utrics. They would be grown in individual saucers, and I will be fitting mylar to all sides.

Q1. I have a b&q nearby that sell these and was planning on using four of them on two dual tube T8 light fixtures (possibly using 3 cool and 1 warm white). Will this lighting suffice? And are these lights T8, as I couldnt see it written anywhere?

Q2. The tank currently has no lid on top. I was thinking of turning it on its side so I could lay the lights over one of the glass side walls (possibly also on a little wood to reduce heat conduction). Does this make sense? This would also alow me to create and attach a reflective flap on the now open side so I can easily access the plants and have more light relection when the tank is not being viewed. Good/bad idea?

Q3. Does everyone reconnect the ballasts in their light fixture as shown here? It seems complicated, but if it is neccessary then I will find someone who knows more about electrics than me.

Q4. Is it likely I will need a fan for air circulation?

Ive done tonnes of research now on terraria and am just after some clarification. Thanks for reading, it is much appreciated.

gypsy -

That should be plenty of light, I've had good results growing with 4 t12s in a 55 gal tank.
After reading this I would definitely recommend the t8s though. The light drop off over time is much reduced and they are also more energy efficient.

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpip/lightingAnswers/lat5/pc9.asp

I've never reconnected my ballasts and experience only a 5F increase in tank temps when the lights come on.

It's really a balancing act between air temp and circulation and humidity. I grew without a fan with fine results for years by providing plenty of ventilation. It's a trial and error process. I eventually bought a 115vac cooling fan from radio shack and am now experimenting with that, it does help distribute heat around the tank and dissipate condensation but like I said may not be necessary.

Another essential is a decent thermometer/hygrometer. I wouldn't waste my money on the super cheap ones. I think it's worth investing around 20 on a decent reliable unit. Once again Radio shack came through for me.

have fun, sounds like a good start.
nick

Thanks for the info.

I guess a fan may turn out to be neccessary, especially if I turn the tank on its side and attach an extra reflective wall, as this will make the tank enclosed with next to no ventilation. I will purchase a temp/hydro gauge aswell as a timer. I guess ill have to go for it and set it all up, then check the temp/hydro/light figures to see if it will be ok to start putting plants in.

Just wanted to welcome you to this side of the Pond.

Just wanted to welcome you to this side of the Pond.

Thanks Jim. I feel a little rude not formally introducing myself. However, I only grow a handfull of venus fly traps, capensis and binata at the moment. Was hoping to expand my collection before I introduced myself (hopefully with some nice photographs aswell)...of the plants, not me. All the CP forums have been a great wealth of knowledge and interest thus far.

Back