What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cool idea

losfreddy

Composter
I'm starting to grow alot of things that produce fruits. Had the idea to plant a dwarf apple and orange tree spaced apart in the yard and get a grape vine to grow up one and a kiwi vine to grow up the other. Would be so awesome to start this off now, so in some years i could have a fruit patch in my yard.

Sounds cool!
but I would be carefull about the grape vine..
grapes grow quickly and vigorously..I could see the grape vine quickly smothering the apple tree and cutting off all its light..

I have no idea how kiwi plants grow..so cant help you there! ;)

Scot

As I understand it, kiwi vines are like Nepenthes, male and female. If you want them to fruit, you better make space for two of them.

The vines could also girdle the trees over time, reducing nutrition, growth and productivity, and maybe even eventually killing them.

That sounds like a really nice idea..like a real Garden of Eden!

Grapes do grow ridiculously fast, and if you cut them back, you better make sure you pick up all the pieces. They root extremely easily.

Back