What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

easy light question

I've just begun setting up my grow rack and unfortunately for the life of me I couldnt' find 4 ft shelves which would obviously be more desireable due to the size and the fact that flour. lights are more common and economically in 4 ft sizes... well. it didnt happen that way so I ended up with a 5 tiered 3 ft wide rack and of course there are 3 ft flour. light fixtures that I can buy but I recently saw a T5 light fixture for 2 lamps for 40 bucks but their only 2 ft long... should I go with the short t5's ? or just buy standard 3ft fixtures... ???

all help is appreciated
THANKS!
-CM

You're going to have a hell of a time finding 3' bulbs. I've never even heard of that. It'd be cheaper in the long run to just get 4' fixtures, or stagger some 2' ones. You can pick up those fixtures and bulbs at Walmart/Home Depot/etc

I ahve a 3 foot fixture and bulbs to go with it but I had special hookups.
I got it fomr a store not opne to the general public
http://www.platt.com/

my home depot sells 3' fixtures and bulbs... and even offers more than just one type of fixture... I've already checked... and their actually cheaper than the 4' fixtures...

the only reason I even mentioned the 2 ft T5's is becuase I know the lightoutput is so much greater from the t5's

So is the heat. Something to consider if you're growing highlanders. Idk how the temps in Kansas are, but I'm guessing something like OK, which is something like the TX panhandle, so it may be a problem in summer.

weather is kansas is the worst for any kind of plant growth I think other than... corn and wheat? haha. we have thick ice storms all winter, along with below freezing temps only to accompany the fact that the summers are sweltering at over 100 degrees I'm suprised any vegetative growth survives this place

Last edited:
You can find 3' bulbs in pet stores. I have a 135 gallon aquarium that's 6 feet long and it uses two 3' bulbs.

Back