What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Never tired a warm mist. I was thinking about it, but for some reason I think cool mist ultrasonics are preferred in the hobby even w/ lowlanders. I think I saw a thread on why once, but I can't remember. If/when this one craps out, I think I'll try a warm mist.

I've been running a digital thermometer/hygrometer for about a week now. Here are my conditions for anyone interested:

Ranges:
Temp: 74-93°
Humidity: 59-74%

Day is usually about 82-92, mostly spent around 87°, humidity avg about 67%.
Night is usually 77, but drops to 74 at least fleetingly every night. Humidity avg about 72%

I have been using a warm mist humidifier as well. The only thing that sucks is my water is horrible (1031ppm), so I have to chisel/CLR the caked on white mineral nonsense every few days. I could use RO water, but since I have to fill the humidifier up 2x per day, I can't afford it ATM (no RO unit, never rains here). It has raised my humidity considerably, and also makes everything much warmer, which I like. The ultrasonic I had just made EVERYTHING wet, but it wasn't very humid for some reason.

Sounds great PK, got any recent pics?

DSCN0278.jpg

DSCN0271.jpg

DSCN0273.jpg

DSCN0263.jpg

Dyeriana, Ted Payne, albo x fusca, veitchii x thorelii.
I'll probably do a pic roundup in a couple of weeks. I'm waiting on pitchers from alata giant x spectabilis, bellii, and some other stuff I can't remember.

Very nice pictures & well done on the setup.
As xvart said, my lady wouldnt allow anytning like that in our apartment :0o:
So, everything that I build myself has to be display quality yet inexpensive. Turns out that Ive made some pretty nice stands with cheap plywood and window glass =)

Cant wait to see those pics

wow! that dyeriana is just amazing. :) Well done! I am working on my nepenthes setup as well...and I am going for aesthetics too ;) .. and yeah....its going to be a highland setup. Although I can't get my self to give up the bical...so I will probably try it in there for a while. :(

Knuckles,

Look out - I'm moving to NW Ft. Worth in 2 months lol.

Vraev,
Thx. I'm looking to get some lowlandable highlanders now, since I've accumulated most LL species (ones on the market at least). My bical has finally started to grow, no pitchers yet though. It's made 2 bigger normal shaped leaves. My tiny one is still struggling, but is slowly recovering after it lost all but 1 leaf due to a repot. My seeds haven't germinated yet for some reason.....

Have you had any problems with water accumulating on the floor? Nice though - very industrious. I like the vertically hanging shoplights - I've been wondering about that possibility for a while myself.
~Joe

When I water, some of it pools on the floor, but it evaporates in a day or so. Since I've got plastic on the floor, it's not a problem.

Um, wouldn't all the plants in the old one grow side ways?

Back