What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HELP!!!!!

upper

Capensis Killer
I'm currently growing only capensis that just germinated about 2 weeks ago in my mini greenhouse, and today i saw some flying bug inside, so i just said to myself, it might be good for the plant to catch some bug in the minigreenhouse, BUT THEY TURN OUT TO BE FUNGUS GNAT!!! you know how i know? i just woke up this morning and saw this slimy silverish transparent thing on top of my dirt, it was FUNGUS GNAT LARVE!!!!:censor:
people say its not dangerous to any plant, but i got seedlings here.... i hear they eat seedlings roots....

Chill out and don't worry about it. God.

You worry too much.

in fungus gnat culture, seedling roots are a rare delicacy and much like our delicacies they only eat them on special occasions. I would watch out when the new years eve parties start

In this reality however they are not that harmful any day of the year. And like you previously thought, yes the flies are good food for your plants, leave em be. And as far as I know they only eat roots that are rotting (?)

In this reality however they are not that harmful any day of the year. And like you previously thought, yes the flies are good food for your plants, leave em be. And as far as I know they only eat roots that are rotting (?)

Not really, they are now considered a serious pest:

http://www.hort.uconn.edu/IPM/greenhs/htms/fngnatser.htm

Fungus gnats were once thought to be a nuisance pest only in the greenhouse. However, as fungus gnats were shown to cause direct feeding damage to crops, they are now considered a serious pest.

http://lancaster.unl.edu/enviro/pest/Nebline/fungusgnats.htm

Fungus gnat larvae cause damage to the root systems of infested plants by burrowing in the soil and feeding on the roots and sometimes the crowns of plants. Seedlings, rooted cuttings and young plants can be severely damaged or killed by fungus gnat larvae feeding on root hairs or roots. Fungus gnat larvae infestations on older, established plants are characterized by little new growth and foliage that appears to be off color. A severely infested plant may also drop foliage. While damage from the larvae may not be extensive for the established plant, the presence of the adults is considered intolerable.

Treat them with Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (BTi). You can buy this in Mosquito Dunks in any hardware store or garden shop. Just plunk the dunk in a container of water overnight and pour a little of the treated water into your pots. Or break off a chunk and float it in your water tray. Treat a couple times a week for two weeks and no more fungus gnats! A treatment once a month or every two weeks after that keeps them away for good.

Be sure to wash your hands after handling BTi and not to breathe in any of the particles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis_israelensis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis

okay, i just repotted everything...
any way to keep them OUT? without using harmful chemical..

I once had some fungus gnats living in the soil of some of my houseplants..
I got rid of them all by...setting 2 pots of D. capensis nearby. :wave:

despite opinions to the contrary, they are almost never a problem at all.
best plan of action..just dont worry about it.

drosera will probably catch them faster than they reproduce..
eventually they will be all gone.

Scot

my capensis are like 2cm long.. the red carnivorous leaf are just coming out...

I once had some fungus gnats living in the soil of some of my houseplants..
I got rid of them all by...setting 2 pots of D. capensis nearby. :wave:

I did the exact same thing. When the gnats got really really annoying, the sundews came out and chowed down.

You could just get a larger sundew and use it to eat the gnats.

in about 3 months, i'll get about 5$ in paypal, then i can buy another sundew. but for now, i got like 96cent in my paypal account... i spent like 30$ on CP already, got 2 vft and sarracenia. some media, and some stamp for SASE.

i hope the bug dosen't eat your cps

okay, i just repotted everything...
any way to keep them OUT? without using harmful chemical..

A quarter to half inch mulch of sand on top keeps them away.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7448.html#MANAGEMENT

Just dry your old peat moss completely out and reuse it. The larvae and eggs die unless wet, and the adults only lay eggs in wet stuff.

Using BTi is just as simple as watering your plants, something you probably do at least once a week. It also eliminates mosquito larvae and cut worms.

Fusarium fungus is vectored by fungus gnats and is known to cause rhizome rot in Sarracenia and can quickly infect your entire collection.

I put a little chunk of "mosquito dunks" in my tray/water buckets, it kills the larvae.

Back