What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bulb Touching Screen

I bought a 100 watt compact fluorescent bulb for my terrarium, and I was wondering if I could have it touching the metal screen, and later glass on my aquarium? I mean, is it bad for the bulb?

...is it REALLY a 100 watt light, or is it really like 20-25 watts?

It is most likely a 100w equivalent 18w light. not enough for good cp growth. I have 3 30w cf
for one small shelf.
They can touch metal and glass, they don't get very hot.

They are fine I have them touch stuff all the time :D
MY dad thoguh they could start a fire so I took a hot one out then licked it no burns just hot.

What did it taste like?

No, it's really a 100 watt CFL, I ordered it from 1000bulbs.com. Actually it's 105 watts. It's 11.5 five inches long and barely fits in the space between my tank and the next shelf on the rack.
I also have an 18 watt T-8 over it.

Fantastic! What a fresh answer!

Just make sure there's some airflow and I'm sure it'll be fine.

nice, do those get hot? I have been thinking about getting one. Sorry about saying that it's prob a 18w as I have seen A LOT of people who don't understand the numbers on the package of those cfl bulbs in the stores. They see 100 watts in big lettering and think that is the wattage.
Peace,
Zero

I didn't know there was such an animal. I am looking for them now. I bet that sucker is bright.

Are these like T5's or something??

Is this the bulb??
105 watt compact
I have never seen a 105 watt bulb before. Does it use a regular socket? How much light do these suckers put out? Would one of the reflectors they sell work with them? How big of an area do they light?

No, my bulb is 6500K because I like the color better. Yes, it uses a regular socket. Thousand of lumens, lights my entire room significantly even with the other 300 watts of lighting. You would probably have to modify the reflector. They can light any amount of area, including up, so i would suggest at least an aluminum foil reflector.

I have the Eiko 5000k 6900 lumen CFL from 1000bulbs.com and it's great. I have mylar reflecting light from mine with a custom reflector. I've also got a low flow/quiet 120mm computer fan rigged up to keep the bulb/ballast cool just in case, plus it provides a very slight gentle breeze and airflow for the plants. These lights are a beast as far as CFLs go. My plants are reddening up quite nicely. I usually turn it on in the morning around 7:30 and leave it on till night around midnight. I'd take a picture but I have no camera atm. :( I had to get a socket extender for mine though. There's no way it'd have fit into the adjustable lamp I have it in without it. My Dana's Delight has been sending up a BUNCH of pitchers as of late. The plants love the light. The leaf-bases on my B52s and my other big VFT are even turning red under the light. They get a little sunlight through my window, but it's quite filtered by the trees outside and the privacy screen, so probably 80-90% of the light they receive is from the CFL. As for the bulb touching something, I'd be wary, but you should be fine as long as it isn't jostled too much.

Back