What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't know how I missed this topic...

Anyway, Vraev....how in the world do you live almost 2000k miles north of me, but your bical looks better than mine? I've never been able to grow bical, and I have no clue why, even though all my other lowlanders are having themselves a party.

In regards to talangensis, I've heard/seen quite a few times that it seems to pitcher in flushes. Perhaps this is related to some sort of nutrient deficiency. When I had mine, it made one pitcher, then I started fertilizing, the pitcher died pretty quickly, and it didn't pitcher for the next 8 or something months (I then traded it away). Perhaps the plant has to dip below a certain threshold in regards to a nutrient or suite of nutrients before it will pitcher. I think that would explain why it blows up so many at once/so rapidly in succession. If I had one again, I'd put it in the brightest light possible, not fertilize it, and pot it in the most nutrient absent inorganic substrate possible (like...broken glass and/or styrofoam pieces). As V said, I'm sure constant temps lend a huge helping hand. If you've got a plant you can sacrifice, go for it and let everyone know how it turns out. I'd try it myself, but my temps are about 30 degrees to high to grow that thing successfully.

THanks for dropping by wasted. :) Thanks again for all the help and suggestions with the king. I am glad the plant finally came through for me. Yup mate! party time. :) I actually went out with friends and had dinner....but lol....it served 2 purposes as the plant surprised me on my birthday. ;) :)

Thanks for the compliments pk! :) THe bical is probably along with the ramispina, the easiest plants in my small 5 nep collection. [mira can join those ranks as well]. It never gave me any problems in growing and pitchering. I would also assume that at your temp and conditions...this plant should be thriving. However, there is one condition that I can fault in your offering: HUMIDITY. However, your new setup should be wicked for it. My bical never gets below 60% humidity at any time. I would suggest bumping up the humidity a bit. The thing is this is all without any air circulation in a snese. I have some fans wired up and ready...I just need to put them in. However, I have read that bical does not really appreciate air movement too much as it likes swampy and stangnant conditions.

yeah! I also heard that thing about talang that it pitchers in waves. But see the ones on AV's plant. It keeps pitchering with every leaf. Certainly something is wrong in what i am doing. I know light is a certain factor...but I have no room...no resources and its unreasonable to get anything more for this crappy enclousure...so I am saving up for a new one.

Varun,

I found this in some of my Heli research papers... it may offer a clue about your talan. With the smaller leaves of the talangensis maybe this factor becomes even more critical.

It is clear, for all Heliamphora species studied, that
the carnivorous characteristics are diminished in the
shade. This phenomenon was predicted by Givnish
et al. (1984) who hypothesized that the carnivorous
habit in plants has evolved in nutrient poor habitats
to improve photosynthetic efficiency. Photosynthetic
efficiency in micro-habitats with low light intensity
is limited by light, and improvement of this efficiency
by carnivory does not balance the costs involved in
producing devices for attraction, trapping and digestion
of arthropods (Gulmon & Chu, 1981;
Givnish et al., 1984). The availability of nutrients is
thus limiting in fast-growing plants and, in the
shade, the growth of Heliamphora is not limited by
nutrients but by light.

HTH's
Av

hmm......lighting is the fault eh?? hmm......I guess I need to force myself for another 2 foot fixture. :( sheesh! I don't want to get any more supplies for this setup. I really need to renovate. :(

EDIT: Added another bical pic to the pics on top. ;)

guys, is this normal?? Just look how dark the pitcher is :( It kinda worries me if it is going to wither away....but looks like its just an insane magnitude of tanning.

2301974929_7a74143f04_o.jpg

My Sibuyanensis did the same thing. It was a nice red yellow-white color and now its got way darker. Although it did take like 2 weeks after the lid opened to become darker almost a black-blood-red, the rim of the pitcher is really blood red mostly. I wonder if it has anything to do with light? That was my thought. ???

cyas
Josh

it took like a week after completely opening and finishing. All this while while the lid was opening..it was already blood red. Now its only been about 2 weeks since the pitcher finished.

Back