What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

green moss from store

losfreddy

Composter
I bought some Green moss that says its from the rainforest and is for decoration. It is at all possible to revive this by soaking in water and possibly use for CPS? Ither way, think it would be cool to have live green moss in my garden.

not spanish moss. Green moss from the tropical rainforest of the pacific northwest

tropical rainforest of the pacific northwest???
there is no tropical rainforest in the pacific northwest.
that doesn't even make sense.
If it's green, don't use it.
dried long fiber sphagnum is tan.
I made the mistake of using the wrong moss as a newbie.

tropical rainforest of the pacific northwest???
there is no tropical rainforest in the pacific northwest.
that doesn't even make sense.

actually yes..there is a rainforest in the pacific northwest.
not "tropical" technically, but it is considered a rain forest.
a "temperate rainforest"

http://www.scsc.k12.ar.us/2001Outwest/PacificNaturalHistory/Projects/LachowskyR/Default.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hoh_Rain_Forest

I agree with the "dont use the moss" advice though..
if you dont know for sure what it is, dont use it.

Scot

There are loads of that moss in my forest like I was considering selling about as much as you could fit into a 2 cubic foot box for $10 then shipping on an auction site but it will not work I think. There are loads of that moss here like tons.

The simple rule of thumb is:

If it doesn't say "Sphagnum" on the package somewhere don't use it.

Lol NaN, even if its sphag, make sure it has no fertilizers or nutrients ;)
Miracle Gro = BAD
lol....and as fast as the temperate rainforest goes, it runs all through here in western washington. the woods in the back are part of it if im not mistaken, just so much in the way of land developement going on.
even took out some sphagnum bogs -_-

Lol NaN, even if its sphag, make sure it has no fertilizers or nutrients ;)
Miracle Gro = BAD

I've yet to see decorative mosses like Green Moss, Spanish Moss or long fiber sphagnum with fertilizer added. The main application for decorative mosses is top dressing for dried or artifical flower arrangements which looks a lot better than a chunk of styrofoam. Silk flowers don't need much in the way of fertilizers. Dried Green Moss and Spanish Moss get waterlogged when wet and quickly turn into mush if kept wet, unlike sphagnum which can hold up to 20 times its weight in water and retain its structure.

That's a very good rule-of-thumb NAN. All new CP growers should have that written on their hand when they go media shopping. ;)

Green moss can kill carnivorous plants so i wouldn't use it go by the major rule if it doesn't say spagnum DON'T use it.

really I got a small pack of dried Chilean sphagnum and all it said on the package was orchid moss lol
just have to know what dried sphagnum moss looks like lol.

it does say that it is chilean...on the back in the fine print :)

the main reason the "green moss" is toxic is because the green you see is a dye. the dye is toxic.

Alex

it does say that it is chilean...on the back in the fine print :)

the main reason the "green moss" is toxic is because the green you see is a dye. the dye is toxic.

Alex

so maybe wash it really rea;lly well maybe soak it and change the water and I think its fine as a top dressing jsut not mixed in with the soil.

Back