What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Automatic Misting

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
I added an automatic misting system to my nepenthes shelf today. Currently I'm tired of running humidifiers, plus the lights seem to keep some type of barrier from the humidity. I've always noticed huge increases in humidity after misting, so I decided to build a little system to do it for me twice a day. The lights seem to dry off the leaves in a few hours, so I'm not worried that the neps will be too wet.

Built with an automatic irrigation controller, electronic solenoid water valve, 1/2" pvc pipe, and 4 spots for misting nozzles. One spot for a nozzle is currently removed and plugged, as some bratty dews sit on that side of the shelf.

The tricky and expensive part is finding all the adapters needed to go through all the odd sizes of the system. The system had to go from 1/4" tubing, to the valve 3/4", to 1/4" tubing again, to 1/2" PVC, to the final 1/8" misting nozzle.

But the tests have worked out pretty good so far, I'll see how it goes tomorrow.

-Nate

Click for bigger pics.

wow! I sooo want to make one of those. good job! can u pls make a tutorial for engineering noobs like me? :)

Ice maker inlet valves can be a inexpensive choice when gathering your parts..

here is one on ebay for 6.99$

http://cgi.ebay.com/ICE-MAKER-WATER-INLET-VALVE-P-4318047_W0QQitemZ170187334127QQcmdZViewItem

another good thing is they usually are already set up for 1/4" line and use a 120vac solenoid

Av

That would have been perfect! The only crummy thing is that the two valves cost the same once shipping is said and done. Irrigation ones run about $12 - $14 range and have a manual switch, but the ice maker one totally works better in terms of size.

But then again I did have to buy 4 adapters for the irrigation one to get it down to 1/4"

-Nate

some ppl may alreay have one and not know it,
a lot of your refrigs may have the valve even if they dont have an ice maker (for future upgrade) if so, it usually would be located in the rear lower right hand corner behind the access cover...

Av

I've been very happy with a misting system from www.herpmist.com.

If you don't want to mess with all the above DIY stuff, a complete system is the way to go!

Peter.

Back