What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My New Terrarium!

My mom had told me that I was getting a four foot terrarium for Christmas.well it took her a while to deliver its march now and I got it the first.
here are the pictures it has open doors in the front it is 12" wide
4' long and 30" high,it is a bit tall but I have my plant elevated towards the light.
not the best picture but its the only picture of the tnak when it was empty.
DSCF2265.jpg

DSCF2290.jpg

it cant hold water in the bottom so I added trays to the tank and elevated them.
they are pretty sturdy and about that rock in there lol no I'm not trying to grow it I am trying to do one of those rock gardens where I grow a plant on the rock in a pocket of media.
I could show you what I mean but I would have to link to a vendor.
DSCF2287.jpg

now I have alot of spare room in my 3 foot tank.

Nice terrarium! Wish I had something that big!

man! You can make a crazy crazy setup using that terrarium. Good luck. I can already imagine a highland paradise for neps in there. I soo want to make a nice display piece like that.

I wish it could hold water,I am going to put alot of highland nepenthes in it.

I am hoping for some new nepenthes to put in my tank haha I want a truncata pasian highland and a mirabilis var. echinostoma

dude...i am so jealous i hate you :jester: not really but i am jealous...

:nana: my other terrarium was custom made also,it has the same open door design.
On this new tank the lid can flip up also its on hinges but I have mylar draped over the back and it would mess it up cause its secured to the lid.

I need a job if I want to order more plants.
anyone have any spare highland nepenthes?

I really like that but it would be better if the bottom were able to hold water and not be wood. It might get messed with all the moisture.

I plant to but I have been procrastinating.
and what can I trade haha its the trade forum not gieaway froum.
most of the plants I have extras of are common in cultivation.
want some D. spatulata :grin:

haha not if I can get away with her buying the plants for me,all tehy have to be is rare or beautiful.

DM maybe some sealer or paint or anything it will swell :( My dad is a hardwood flooring contracter and wood moves like by our stove there are a .5 inch cracks in the floor from the dryness.. MY dad says any moisture change can make the wood expand width wise.

I had mentioned caulking all the gaps between the cedar planks would that work?

* Huge edit - I should read all the pages before posting - haha *

I'd put some kind of exterior finish on the whole thing, inside and out.

And... look on google for people that made their own aquariums out of plywood. They seal it with some sort of epoxy, I think it's "drylok" (just google it) You just spread it on the bottom of your set up and it'll hold water. And if you have to put a 1/2 strip of wood behind the doors before you seal it. You don't need THAT much water.

Good luck.

And... look on google for people that made their own aquariums out of plywood. They seal it with some sort of epoxy, I think it's "drylok" (just google it) You just spread it on the bottom of your set up and it'll hold water. And if you have to put a 1/2 strip of wood behind the doors before you seal it. You don't need THAT much water.

While I didn't make mine water tight, I still finished my old plant shelf in that stuff. That way I wasn't worried about water doing any damage. You can see the gray finish it gave off.

PlantShelfv3_1.JPG

* Huge edit - I should read all the pages before posting - haha *

I'd put some kind of exterior finish on the whole thing, inside and out.

Good luck.

Thanks.
it it stained on the inside and the out just not the bottom of the tank.
I ahve made my own terrarium befroe and it can hold water but its made out of glasss and it has a wooden frame and Plexiglas doors.
here is a picture of my 3 foot.
DSCF2294.jpg

Is Drylock clear?

Is Drylock clear?

I think it comes in all different colors. Hopefully you can get clear that is a very nice terrarium. Don't want some crazy color covering the nice wood floor. Could be the most eye pealing one yet. :-D

Josh

Back