What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How deep for perlite

I'm in the process of making my muk. I was wondering how deep would you have the perlite go? The container is about 12 inches deep. So I don't think I need to have perlite all the way to the bottom. I was thinking maybe having the bottom couple inches, maybe 6or so just peat and up top where the plants are using the perlite with a top layer of just peat so the perlite does not come up to the top and look ugly. Also around the base of each plant have some LFS too. What you guys think?

This sounds like something I was wondering just this evening. I have some large undrained containers that I tried as mini-bogs last year and they didn't work so well. I'm rethinking them for this year and was wondering what sort of mix ought to go in.

I was thinking just the opposite-orchid bark, pebbles etc in the bottom for some drainage then keeping the perlite and/or sand all of the way down. I'll be curious to hear what the others say.

I'm also thinking of a PVC pipe in the center going down to the bottom so that I can add water all of the way down to the bottom.

What was the problem why they didn't work? I have some holes where the flytraps are going to be so they really will not be in standing water too much.

I have no idea, really. Last summer was a rough one for all of my outdoor CPs. It seemed like the soil was drying out faster than I had wanted. I had horticultural charcoal in the bottom then sphagnum and perlite. Before too long I repotted the plants and emptied the pots and they had that...smell. You know the one-the rotten egg smell-even though all of the ingredients were new.

Yeah I hate that smell. But I hope this works. I just don't want to waste perlite if I don't need it all the way to bottom.

I would try lava rock in the bottom of undrained pots.

Or even Hydroton clay pellets. (kinda the same thing IMHO)

I use either of these in drained and undrained pots. Works out great as water retainer & release. And it pretty darn light too. ;)

Back