What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

150 gallon pics

Finally got this project done, took forever.

150 gallons,
24" front to back
30" tall
48" side to side

These measurements are for the glass tank not including the frame and hood.

T5 8bulb

It's been growing out a couple weeks and plants seem to like the conditions. We'll see how the noobs do, N. Spathulata, N. Singalana, N. Spectabilis, N. Ramispina, N. Ovata, N. Talengensis.

peace,
Nick

100_5392.jpg

100_5399.jpg

100_5476.jpg

100B5450.jpg

100_5482.jpg

100B5700.jpg

100_5596.jpg

100B5720.jpg

100_5595.jpg

100_5593.jpg

Wow. Very nicely done! Talk about presentation. Are you doing anything for air circulation?

xvart.

Terrific! I can almost imagine the top quality the plants will look in after a few months. VERY VERY well done. I soooo need to do something like this myself. :) Yeah! as xvart says...try getting a fan in there. :) that will just make it perfect!! :D

Gorgeous! That's been in the back of my mind for a while now. What kind of glass is that?

Very nicely done! I like that a lot! I would like to know a little more about how you built it. What do you have on the bottom of the tank? That presentation is very nice and i would like to do something like that after i move to MN with it modified and a freezer on the bottom for my ultra highlanders. thanks for sharing.

Looks great!

Wow! As many have mentioned so far, your presentation is immaculate. I must build something like this once I buy a house. Having a tank akin to this in my living room would make me a very happy camper!

I see a 250 gallon in the paper and my 55 is full mom says no she says I'd need lots of lights and nowhere to put it :(

That looks amazing Nick :). VERY nicely done. Thanks for sharing.

Wow that tank is Pro. I'm curious about the air flow also with 8 T5's it has to be hot as hell in there. Good job man.

Josh

BTW the tapestry in the back roxx!!

very ncie I made my tank that way I even add the glass strip at the bottom so it can hold water and I made doors for the front.
I don't know how many gallons my tank is but I have too custom tanks a 3 foot and a four foot.
YAY FOR CUSTOM TERRARIUMS.
nice job.
and where did you find green eggcrate?

Beautiful job!

Glass or acrylic? How thick are the panes?

Thanks everyone,

xvart and vraev - if you look at the last pic of the three maxima pictures you can see a small radio shack fan 115vac that blows when the lights are on (do you think this is enough?), I might have to upgrade especially when it gets hot in the summer.

ilbasso and wmgorum - The glass and mirror in the first pic that forms the basic structure is all 1/4". It's solid stuff but I wanted to include the frame for extra strength. I had it custom cut and then used non toxic aquarium sealant to bind and seal it. For the adjustable top I used cheapo home depot 3/32 replacement glass, I already broke it once during installation so not a bad idea to go thicker. The doors are 1/8th tempered, any thicker wouldn't have worked with the hinges. Altogether glass costs were around $300 I may have been able to cut it myself for much cheaper but cutting glass is a lot harder then I thought and I broke plenty of it cutting the glass for the lid.

JB_OrchidGuy - ask away, I used crushed lava sand for the bottom. Good luck with your ultra highland tank I can't wait to see how that turns out.

LLeopardGGecko - thanks, it has made me a very happy camper indeed, I can't walk by it without staring and drooling.

jm82792 - keep after her, she'll come around.

Nepenthes and elgecko - thanks a lot :)

Blazeddayz - Yes! they are hot, I'm worried about summer when the temp hits 100. Even with the fan on the upper third of the tank gets to about 20F hotter then room temp with 50%H while the bottom third is about 7F hotter than room with 80%H. I've thought about raising the lights an inch or so and then mounting a fan between the lights and upper glass to blow off some heat. any ideas? I also drilled about 200 1" holes in hood as the Lamp was wayyyy to hot, couldn't even touch the sides, it's much better now. These things cook!

D_muscipula - I think I remember looking at a picture of your custom tank, very nice work it looks like we used the same hinges and magnetic closing system which I think works great. My tank can also hold about 6 inches of water which really helps with the humidity. Congrats on your new tank! Get some plastic friendly spray paint and then turn your white egg crate into green egg crate. oh and 231 square inches per gallon.

Thanks for all the compliments, happy to give more detail and help anyone with their projects!
cheers :beer:

I'm really tearing your pictures apart... let me say again, you've done a fantastic job... I hope my little project turns out as nice.

I'm looking at doing something similar, but I'm considering acrylic rather than glass because I know how heavy my 135 Oceanic tank is and I want to keep the terrarium as light as possible. I'm thinking about going with 1/8" plexiglass to keep costs down, but I wonder if it's going to be too flexible making difficult to form seams?

Heat is not going to be much of an issue for me 'cause I'm growing mostly lowlanders and I'm sure they'd appreciate it.

Is there an easy way to clean these beasts out when you have 6 inches of water in the bottom? I moved my plants around and sopped up the crud in the bottom of my 40 gal and it was nasty.

Any chance of a pic of the underside of the hood to see how the lights are? I assume that they are just hanging there, yes?

hey if its paint then why not make hot pink eggcrate
jk good idea does the paint have to be water proof?

wmgorum

1/8 will be very bendable and flimsy!! I definitely wouldn't go thinner than 1/4 for a big tank, 1/4 still flexes quite a bit although but a wood frame would probably provide adequate support. Tap Plastics sells this stuff by the sheet and it's not to hard to cut with a jigsaw, they also do custom sizes at least at their stores (and maybe online).

ilbasso

pictures are worth a thousand words so here are a few more of the hood:

100_5961.jpg

100_5480.jpg

The fan really didn't do much good were is was mounted so ended up putting it in the tank.
The fixture had four threaded holes that a cable for hanging screwed into, I removed the cable and then bought four bolts and bolted the light directly to the hood. Was very hot at first so I drilled the holes which helped.

I've got that lava sand in the bottom of my tank and I'm really not planning on cleaning it ever... unless it gets super rank. I'm hoping some moss will grow and nature will just work things out. Try using some flexible hosing and siphoning that junk out.

D_muscipula
Hot pink egg crate, lol! You should do it! I used Rustoleum textured paint for plastic, it's for plastic lawn furniture so I'm sure it's water proof.

you just inspired me to make a fish tank :p thats so cool

Back