What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Setting up a terrarium?

I would like to set up a terrarium but dont know where to start. I have a couple fish tanks that I could use if they would work, the sizes are a 30 gallon and a 55 gallon. Would either of those work. The plants I would most likely put in there would be Nepenthes. I just need some direction on how to go about setting them up.

First you need to decide on what type of Neps you wish to grow ie. Highland/Intermediate/Lowland as they have different growing parameters and require different terrarium setups.. Also which species/hybrids. I would go with the 55 gal as most Neps will outgrow a 30 gal in short order ( And also a 55 gal for that matter). Although some will work for smaller terrariums ie N belli, N. argentii and some others. Also small plants will work for awhile but will eventually need more space. I keep most of my plants in large terrariums at this time and space is my problem now. Let me know and I can give you some pointers on setups.

ooh you can get four foot sholights at homedpot for 8-9 bucks they are prewired use like two for your 55 gallon and set the plants close under the light.

$ footers from wallmart using the full 40 watt bulbs if you want intermediates or lowlanders get this wonderful grate stuff you fin in hardware store in the lighting section. Then prop up the grate then buy a 150 watt or so adjustable aquarium heater adjust it by the tanks air temp not the waters temp and your set highlander tank is easier since no heating is wanted. My setup is for intermediates and tropicls works great.

Yeah you really need to know what kind you want. To me there are more highlanders I would want then lowlanders. Plus with the highlanders you can also put some dews and helis and cephs as well. Remember though it's easier to heat then it is to cool. Let me know what you want and I can give some info on what I have set-up.

I want to do highlands but dont know what species, there are so many to choose from.

Are you expirenced in the hobby or just starting off?

Pretty much just starting off with Carnivorous plants, I do grow Orchids aswell as other tropical plants though.

Okay forget the grate and that sutff just get a 4 foot light with 80 watts total get the warm colored ligh5ts. Ventricosa,sanguinea,X ventrata,X Judith Finn,Truncata Highland those are great for starters.

*cough cough* Don't listen to him; get four 40 watt cool white or daylight lamps, not two warm white. More is always better.*cough cough*

Oh, what was that? Excuse me! I must be allergic to all of the run-on sentences in this thread!

You Should Not Even Waste Your Time With A Terrarium! Serious Cp Experts Know That Terrariums Kill More Plants Than They Help (even If It Is A Super Tropical Plant)! The Reason Being..... Plants Need Air Circulation More Than Humidity! And The More Humid It Is The More Air Circulation Plants Need!

You Should Not Even Waste Your Time With A Terrarium! Serious Cp Experts Know That Terrariums Kill More Plants Than They Help (even If It Is A Super Tropical Plant)! The Reason Being..... Plants Need Air Circulation More Than Humidity! And The More Humid It Is The More Air Circulation Plants Need!

thats why you can add fans... and some require terraiums....

Back