What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting a Terrarium

Hey guys I'm new to the forums and relatively new to CP's. I currently have two mini bogs created, but I am looking to make a terrarium for some neps. I am probably going to buy a 20 gallon tank that is 3 feet wide and like a foot or foot and a half tall...not sure on the exact dimensions. Anyways, lighting is my main issue...at my local home depot they carry the correct type of flourescents that I will be needing, but I'm not sure what to do about the fixtures. Do most of you guys make a custom hood and mount the fixture on the inside top of the hood? Or possibly you suspend it above the tank somehow? I really have no idea how I am going to light this thing yet so I am open to suggestions. Also, would 5000K or like 6100K be better for neps or would it not matter? Then, is there a point when there is too much lighting? Like how many flourescent tubes would I need for a 20 gallon tank? And finally, can anyone suggest some noob neps for me since I am just starting out?

Thanks for any replies!!

Zach

zach,

i can say that im a complete n00b to neps and ive had my N. ventricosa for a couple of weeks and its still looking pretty good.

i recently got a tank to setup as a terrarium for some dews and my lonely N. ventricosa, so if you dont mind im going to piggy back your post and hopefully someone will know :)
i was going to rig 2 x 2' T8(25w/ea.) on my 20 gal, enough?

~b

Double it.

go with four bulbs, more light = happier, faster growing plants.
either 5000 or 6100 will work well.
I've done a few hoods and they've worked for me. If you browse through the terrarium section you should find a bunch of examples of various hoods.

btw, 20 gal will fill up very fast. I'd recommend a 55 gallon with four foot fixtures if you have the space and money. Four foot fixtures are actually much cheaper than 3ft so you will save $ on that end.

Back