What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indoor Growing Pic

Hi guys,

For a while now i have been looking around looking under the search now and trying to find pictures of all the groww racks and terrariums. It starts to get a little anoying and was thinking it would be nice if there was a compilalaiton of picture of all the people indoor grow racks, terrariums, etc. This would help me and others wanting to build indoor systemsw out, at least if you could post pictures of your Grow Racks and Terrariums, or anythuing else you use to grow plants in side.

Please include this info (if you can):
-Picture of what you use for growing
-Plants you grow in/on your 'thing'
-What type of plants it works for (higland, lowland, etc)
- If you know relatice temp and humidity that would help
- And than rate it on a 1-10(doesn't work-great) scale on how good it works

Thanks to everyone who can contribute to this Thread im sure it will help for anyone planning on making a indoor growing system to see ideas on what they can do.

-Ryan

sundews, pings, neps, and others

DSC_0004.jpg

sundews, pings, and cephs
DSC_0007-2.jpg

Neps

DSC_0041-1.jpg

ghetto lowland tank

DSC_0042-2.jpg

For the tanks they have day temps of 70-80F and 50-60F night temps, with 70-80% humidity. For the lowland tank the day temps are 90-100F and 70-80F night temps. And for the stuff under the shoplight they are at room temp (60-70F day 50-60F night) with 50%+ humidity. Id give my setups about a 7.

Here's a really good grow shelf sticky. I know several people on here have modeled their grow shelves after this.

I bought one of those standard 4' wide, 5 tier shelfs from Lowes. I use four T12 4' bulbs on each shelf. I'm not sure what the temperature range is; it's whatever they use in the maintenance closet where I live. Philips something-or-other.

-Plants you grow in/on your 'thing'

These days I mainly grow Nepenthes. I have recently started to downsize my collection of plants so I'm not growing as much as I used to. I have grown Dionaea, Pinguicula, and some Utricularia. Mostly plants with common easy to provide room conditions.

-What type of plants it works for (higland, lowland, etc)

Mine is definately not for lowlanders as I have no outside temperature controls. The room fluctuates with the outside temps; and the room my shelf is in is very unstable.

- If you know relatice temp and humidity that would help

Hmmm... not sure about temps, but humidity during the summer was between 45% and 60%. During the winter it has been between 20% and too low to read on my hydrometer. Once it gets nicer I plan to get new batteries for my thermometer/hydrometer (they were taken for a TV remote).

- And than rate it on a 1-10(doesn't work-great) scale on how good it works

For what I currently grow, I'd say about a "8." Although, it would definately need some more work/improvements if I wanted to expand to some more "touchy" Nepenthes. I had a N. aristolochioides that kicked the bucket but I'd like to believe it was because of the wild weather this winter and the lack of temperature control in my apartment and not a direct result of the conditions provided by the grow shelf.

-Picture of what you use for growing

Here is a picture of my downsized grow shelf. The overhead light is burnt out so the lighting isn't too good.

DSCN3469.jpg

DSCN3468.jpg

xvart.

Last edited:
DSCF2602.jpg

I am growing nepenthes ventricosa, nepenthes sanguinea, nepenthes spectabilis, nepenthes truncata highland, nepenthes 'gothica' (sibuyanensis x maxima) and nepenthes ventricosa x maxima.
some of them are acclimating but the truncata and the nepenthes spectabilis are acclimated.

Hi here is my current 10gallon terrarium.
310375128.jpg

I grow sundews on in this setup. On a scale from 1-10 i would say about a 7. I have adalea, binata, madagascariencis, and cepensis growing in it right now... they seem to be doing fine

-Ryan

Well since Bianchi and a couple other people have asked me where I'm stuffing my plants these days, I figured I'd post an updated photo. I have 3 other 20 gallon high tanks (and a shelf outside), but these are my main tanks - The one in the upper left hand corner is a lowland tank, while the other 3 are H/L:

GrowRackUpdated.jpg

My conditions are typically (for the 3 H/L tanks):
Daytime: 75-85F Temp 60-75% Humidity
Nighttime: 60-65F Temp 90+% Humidity

This system works OK for me, but my next place I am hoping to build a greenhouse. I only grow Neps and Cephs in these tanks, but I have 1 Sarracenia, 2 VFTs, and 3 Sundews outside along with some other Neps. Admittedly, I do neglect them though because I'm mainly interested in Nepenthes.

wow! fantastic setup there Daniel. I am planning on making a single tank style setup 4 feet by 2 feet by 3 foot tall. :)

Here is my setup:

DSCN1530.jpg

DSCN1588.jpg

DSCN1587.jpg

My setup is made in an L shape and I grow mainly nepenthes in it with the exception of one drosera and one VFT. One side is for lowlanders with a heater below it and the other is for highlanders with an intermediate section in the middle. I run a humidifier in the chamber for 12 hours each day and this setup works really well for me. The grow chamber measures 3'w x 40"h x 5' l on one side and the other side measures 3'w x 40"h x 8'l. Temps are 80-85 highs and 62-66 lows. Humidity during the day is between 60-70% and nights are 95-100%. I would give my setup a 7-8. How can I give it any higher than that after seeing Capslock's setup on the Nepenthes forum!!!! Philcula has a great setup as well.

Great setups Nepenthes and Bucky. What kind of lights are you using? (watts, etc)
-Matt

not there is a setup definitely the most growing space for your money but it could look nicer. I would have gone with vinyl instead of the translucent plastic like painting drop cloth. PVC frame is a great idea.

Your guys growing pics are very nice thanks a ton for sharing em with us :-D

I am using 6 40 watt (I think) T12 bulbs on one side and 8 T8 bulbs on the long side. Since the pics were taken, I have covered the outsides of the lights with mylar to reflect more light down into the chamber. Hope this helps!

Great thread! Sorry my photoes are so large, I'm about to go back and try to fix it.
My setup:
I grow my tropical plants on two shelves. The shelves are made of glass.
100_0312.jpg

As you can see, I have one 19 watt, 60 hertz, 120 volt lights above each growshelf.
To maintatin adequate humidity and, in the winter, temperture, I keep a humidifier going during the day.
100_0140.jpg

It works like a charm! At night, I don't have my humidifier on. I close the heating vent and put some old art books on top to make sure that the room stays cool for my highlanders.
100_0313.jpg

I water every three days or so.
Day temps: 75-80
Night temps: 65
Day humidity: 50-60%
Night humidity: 30%
IT WORKS WELL FOR:
Nepenthes copelandii (my avatar)
Nepenthes Eymae
100_0322.jpg

Nepenthes x "Lady Pauline"
100_0317.jpg

Drosera capensis
100_0309.jpg
Also works well for D. Roseana, D. Spatulata, D. Binata, D. Adalae, N. Truncata N. Fusca, N. Ventricosa, N. Alata, N. Clipeata x eyemae, and Cephalotus.
IT WORKS POORLY FOR:
N. Ephippiata
N. Talangensis
Overall rating: 8. It'd be better if I could get it cooler at night, but hopefully I'm going to move to a house with AC next month.

I would say your biggest issue is NIGHT Time HUMIDITY. My day humidity goes from 50 to 60. However, during night it rises to atleast 85%. Get that fixed and you can add a ton of neps that will cater will in your conditions. Perhaps even a rajah, lowii, etc... ;)

V...I'm flying to Canada and breaking your shift key. ;)

Here are a couple older ones.
100_1562.jpg

100_1559.jpg

100_1560.jpg

PK I know you have a couple... :)

Jayson, is that a Nepenthes spathulata or truncata?

PK how can you enjoy seeing your neps when you cant see them clearly...? just asking

That there is N.spathulata x veichii (xJudithFinn)

Back