What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey, descriptive photos of my growroom have been requested, and I thought I'd post the photos here for future reference. I grow in a basement room, which has a small window and is accessible from below my deck. In the summer, I put a fan in the window blowing in at night so it cools down enough:
Growroom4.jpg

Here I've opened the door and am looking in. As you can see, it's not that big a room, about 7 x 10 feet. I've put three racks in - the kind you can buy at Costco for about $70. They are taller racks, but I've removed the top portion where I used to hang the lighting fixtures, and hung the T5 4-bulb 48" fixtures directly from the ceiling. I've also obviously wallpapered the whole room with mylar for maximum light reflection.
Growroom5.jpg

This is kind of a bad photo, but here is a closeup of the light fixture hanging from hooks I put into the ceiling. There's also a little fan that's always running blowing air around the room.
Growroom6.jpg

I've squeezed some plants into the corner where the racks leave a space, because, well, I can get more in that way! I put some supplemental shop lamps pointed into the corner. This is where the tall ones go.
Growroom7.jpg

Here you can see the various fixtures plugged into a power strip hanging from the side of the rack. This is the part of the arrangement I'm least pleased with. It's sloppy. Oh, that's N. veitchii x lowii!
Growroom8.jpg

The power strip is plugged into a timer on the wall:
Growroom9.jpg

We've had a dry winter and spring, so I've been running a humidifier while it's been dry:
Growroom10.jpg

And that's about it. There's a door going to the rest of the garage/basement. If it gets real hot, I close the window and open the door to the always-cool basement on the inside. With various opening and closing, I can regulate the temperature roughly into a decent highland condition. It's not perfect, but I can grow the majority of nepenthes, drosera, or whatever this way.

Capslock

VERY nice Max. I am always amazed at your plethora of plants, and to see them in all their glory like this is just wonderful. I have been wondering what your grow room looks like, and to my delight you have shared with us. Thank you, and keep up with the great picture sharing. Oh yeah... how many light fixtures do you have, and how many are T5s? Is your electric bill through the roof?

Daniel

Damn nice set up there! Can't wait till I can dedicate a whole room to my cp's. Thanks for sharing, now we all know how you get those wonderful pitchers.

Josh

Intense! I can only imagine how much time you must dedicate to watering and maintenance...

Damn! now thats the way the experts do it. WOW!! thats just paradise right there.

Max, that is AWESOME!!!!!!!! your lil' slice of heaven right there. Is your electric bill pretty high I wonder?

Anyway bro, that is one great set up you got there. Friqin awesome man.

Rob

Wow...just...wow.

Thanks Max. That answers a lot of my questions. Now just a couple more.

What is your photo period?
How many of those fixtures are t-5 and t-8?
How has the room impacted your electric bill?

Thanks again for posting this. It is basically what I had in mind. I just wanted confirmation that you can get these greatly colored plants with only florescent tubes. Thanks again!

You have made good use of the space there Max, looks like alot of work.

Wow Max! Thats an awesome growroom!

makes my setup look like a backwoods hillbilly setup..............i bow to the master :hail: :hail: :hail:

makes my setup look like a backwoods hillbilly setup..............i bow to the master :hail: :hail: :hail:

Well that and the fact that you are a backwoods hillbilly :poke: :jester:

I'm proud to say that I have seen Max's grow room in person and it is truly a spectacle! In fact...I'll be there again on Sunday. YAY!!!! The pictures do not give an accurate image of how really bright the light is in this room...you nearly have to shield your eyes from those lamps. What's more is how clean Max keeps his grow space. There are no dirty pots, dead leaves or any pitchers or dirt on the floor or under the racks.

Max's plants are a sight to behold. He is also very modest about compliments. I made him laugh over my reaction to his N. ramispina. It was the largest, most perfect spcimen of this species I have ever, and STILL have ever seen. I'm talking Charles Clarke picture perfect. The pitchers on this beast must have been a good 8-10 inches tall. Truly remarkable.

Thanks for posting all these beautiful and informative photos Max.

On a side note, Max has worked out a system for caring for his plants that allows him to expedite their watering, grooming and overall maintenance. He spends a lot of time in their not because he has so much work to do but because it's just the most awesome place to hang out in.

Now I'm craving a picture of this famous N. ramispina... *hint-hint* :-D

crap, can't come up with words....

wow...damn-drooled on the keyboard.

My...God... That is freakin' gorgeous. The drool response has already been noted several times so I will add my SECOND impression upon seeing the photos instead. The mylar rippling in the background with FANTASTIC nepenthes tucked in nearly every corner of the picture makes it look like some kind of mirage or wild dream fantasy. Needless to say I would be ecstatic to have only one shelfing unit full of plants like those, much less a whole room full-to-brimming. Thanks for sharing the pictures, must clean the saliva off of my keyboard now and pick my jaw up off of the floor.

Don't even get me started on Max's N. ramispinia! It inspired me to purchase my first one; but, I've traded it since then. I never want to see another N. ramispinia unless Max grew it. Thanks for the pictures; as always, great work.

xvart.

Back