What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short Term Terrarium

How should I make a very low cost, short term (1 month) terrarium for a nepenthes ventricosa? I don't want to spend any more than $10.00 on the terrarium itself, but I don't know how much I would spend on a thermometer or something. I thought about making one by taking a 2 litre soda bottle and cutting off part of it to put over the plant. Any other ideas?:scratch:

haha I don't have a thermometer on any of my tanks although it would be a good investment.
I suggest getting a four foot fixture and just hanging it above where you want to grow the plant this species is hardy and higher humidity is not mandatory.
they have prewired four foot shoplights at home depot for 8-9$

well I mean for just one nepenthes ventricosa. i dont want a 4ft light fixture, i dont have enough room. would it be able to survive just on a windowsill? i live in the pacific northwest, and we dont get too much sunlight but its not that bad.

Buy a small 5 gallon aquarium and put saran wrap over the top. All you have to do is place it in a south facing window if you don't want grow lights.
But if your plant is acclimated to the humidity in your house, a terrarium really is not needed.
-matt

Why not by a few dollar planter and put it in there. Easy ones, like the N. ventrata and Judith Finn do just fine as long you water once or twice a week and ensure a good 12 hour photoperiod.

Strausplants0241.jpg

Back