What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with mold

Ok so i am growing some sundews in this 10g terrarium setup i have here.
310375128.jpg

Some of the traps where they have caught bugs have created a white web like mold. (no there are not a bugs infesting the plants). And also it is creating algea like mold on the sphagnum directky. So my question is is this ok and if not is there a way i could fix it??

easy solution..
get rid of the terrarium and grow your plants outside! ;)

Scot

What Scotty said.............

Ditto... but if you are stuck with using a terrarium.. i would think you will have to increase the air movement.

Just keep it open to the air. Then it's a glorified "open tray".

bianchi, I've had the same kind of mold, from whats left of an insect decomposing after the Sundew has mostly consumed it. It hasn't hurt the plant, as the mold is attacking the dead insect and not the healthy plant. But if it really bothers you, you can remove it by trimming off that section of leaf, since the leaf is not getting any more nutrition from the insect.
Tom

You could remove the bug/mold with tweasers instead of trimming the leaf. The mold you are describing on the soil sounds to me like a "slime mold" it can harm some of the sensative plants like Pings and some Drosera. it is best removed by scraping the soil that is contaminated and replacing with fresh soil, or the use of a fungicide. I do not use conventional fungicide but i would assume there is alot of different brands that would do the job. I use PPM, it is a fungicide of sorts that is used primarily for tissue culture, it is expensive but it wont harm the plants. Both molds are probably thriving in your aquarium because they like the bright light and high humidity, if you lower the humidity they will probably die or atleast they will not form as fast, but your plants wont be as happy in the lower humidity but will aclimate.

You should remove them from the terrarium and put them on the windowsill,
sundews don't need high humidity. ;)

- MasterGrower

Back