What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bog top layer, rocks?

MrFlyTrap2

OMG h8 pings
For a bog, is there any else that can be used as a top layer in order to make it more visibly pleasing? The look of brown patches in the middle of plants might be tacky to some. I'm planning on making a bog that would be put in a high traffic commercial area so overall look is kind of important.

Would dressing the top layer with small washed pebble sized rocks cause any problem? The only thing I can think of would be them sinking, unless they do something crazy to the soil composition.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

go for a boat load a perlite. it floats so it wont sink under the soil. it keeps the soil cool and to some extent visially pleasing to look at. the downside it that it is like an algea sponge and will turn green/brown in a few weeks

Alex

Or APS.

go for a boat load a perlite. it floats so it wont sink under the soil. it keeps the soil cool and to some extent visially pleasing to look at.
Alex

wow..I cant think of anything more hideous..
icon-sick.gif

tastes vary I suppose! ;)

I would just use pure LFS..it usually ends up growing a green mossy coating that looks very nice.

Scot

Live Sphagnum moss would be your best bet. Or horticultural sand which can be found in a variety of colors. Many bogs are sandy to begin with.

What species are you planning on using. Remember temperate CPs only look spectacular a few months out of the year. In the winter they'll wind up in the compost heap by uninformed people.

There was a small bog of mainly Sarracenia on the CSU Fullerton campus and it was judged unacceptable by the powers that be for that reason.

And don't forget the billions of fungus gnats you'll have flitting about.

I've never had much luck with getting dead LFS to regrow, or keeping the stuff that is growing a live. Maybe in time I'll get better at it.

NaN, I was thinking of using silica, and I'd probably be using planters for my bog to separate species of Sarras, opposed to the large tub style with everything thrown in.

The planters are going to be outside, so gnats shouldn't be a problem. If anything, they'll mostly just bother smokers... and no one really views smokers as people anymore anyways.

Last edited:
I have 2 small fishbowl terrariums with small pebble stones covering small patches that look natural and do nothing to compromise the soil. Make sure the stones contain nothing harmful and rinse them.

IThe planters are going to be outside, so gnats shouldn't be a problem. If anything, they'll mostly just bother smokers... and no one really views smokers as people anymore anyways.

Ugh! I can see the smokers using S. purpurea as ashtrays.

Um, how about moss? I never had a problem with it killing my plants and it keep soil form washing away in floods.

Back