What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another light thread...

theyellowdart

sea bear returns!
I just bought two GE 4' daylight 40 watt bulbs with 3050 lumens, 6500k, and 75 cri. Are these ok to use?
There were others there with 3400 lumens and 3000 k. Would those have been better?
Thanks
-Matt

i think they would be fine

I think the daylight would have been best choice

I saw you ask for me specifically in the chat box (and since it was after I had already left), so I figured I would post. Everyone above is right. The lamp with 3,000K may have more lumens, but it would look like crap. 3,000K is yellow orange and since there is more red, it would promote flowering over foliage, which isn't what we're after 99% of the time. Your daylight lamp may have fewer lumens, but it's a balanced spectrum so it will promote good growth and the plants will show off their color much better under it.

If you only have two lights, get at least two more.

Thanks for all the help.

I'm going to keep my eye open for some cool whites (Lowes didn't have them) and combine them with the daylights.

Or is that not neccesary?

You c ould also look for full spectrum ???

Using only the daylights is fine. 6,500K is spot on. You could mix and match, but it won't really matter unless you just prefer the way your plants look under ___ combination.

Alright, great! Thanks.

Right now I've got a temporary area set up until I get the grow rack.
Oh yeah, how long do you suggest to keep the lights on? Is 14 hours in the summer and 12 in the winter sufficient?

16 year round.

So Nepenthes are not triggered to flower by the different day lengths Clint? I know many orchids are so I plan on changing up the light frequency to correspond with the months. Also with orchids there is a cooling off component that triggers flowering too in some. Like dropping to 5 to get a Phal to bloom. Does it have any baring on nepenthes or other CPs?

Yeah, I believe they do tend to flower more often at certain times of the year, but few people care about flowers and we grow them for their foliage. Obviously temperate plants like Sarracenia, Darlingtonia, etc. I'm sure other tropical CP's can be triggered by it. Probably Pinguicula, but I know little about them since I'm not into them. If you want to try and trigger flowering, a seasonal difference sounds fine. It won't hurt the plant, but a 16 hour photoperiod is just used to give the plant maximum day length and thus light.

There's a post about it somewhere at the Nepenthes forum. I think Sam made it. Or maybe not.

One last question....
Is 8'' between the plant and the light a good distance?

Put them as close as you can.

Back