What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yeah, I know but I actually kinda like it. It doesn't bother me at least not yet!

Here are some updated pics of the bogs and a few individual plants. I will post a few more pics in two or three weeks as things change pretty rapidly! Hope you like'em.

The Bogs
DSCN1656.jpg

Bogs
DSCN1655.jpg

Bogs
DSCN1654.jpg

S. Copper Vase - Romanowski Hybrid, I just LOVE this plant!
DSCN1657.jpg

S. Excellens (Leuco Red x Minor Okee Giant)
DSCN1653.jpg

I got this one as Flava Ornata but I think it has something else in it, but I don't care it's a stunner!
DSCN1652.jpg

Group of S. Leah Wilkerson
DSCN1648.jpg

S. Leah Wilkerson, heads and shoulders above the rest at about 32" tall
DSCN1650.jpg

Close up of Leah Wilkerson
DSCN1651.jpg

S. Bud Wilkerson
DSCN1647.jpg

Another view of S. Bud Wilkerson
DSCN1646.jpg

S. Wilkerson's Red O.P.
DSCN1645.jpg

That's quite the setup you have there!

I like the S. Copper Vase as well. I was stunned by it when I first saw Mike King's photos of it.

FRIQIN AWESOME WES!!! *drewling* WOW!!! AWESOME!!!

Stunning!!! Absolutely stunning!!! WOW!!!

Those 'Leah Wilkerson' flowers are HUGE.

I almost forgot - Do you still want that flava hybrid you asked for?

Thanks.

Thanks guys! I am glad you like them! The Leah Wilkerson flowers are huge and produce lots of pollen. I have made a lot of crosses this year and several with Leah Wilkerson. Can't wait to see what pops up.

Jeff, Yeah whenever you get a chance, there's no big hurry.

Oh. I've been waiting weeks for your reply.

What did I say in my pm? I'll have to check...

I'll pm you again.

Bucky -

So you are just going to let the seed fall where it does, or collect it?
I like the idea of just letting it fall, but I can see how that would make the bog less organized.

Really great stuff.

No!! I collect the seed. I have made about 100 crosses and I want to collect it so I know what plants are what when they start growing.

Awesome plants (and pics!)!!
I noticed you have many of the flowers labeled - is that to track your pollination?
If so, how do you prevent natural pollination?

That is the way that I track my pollinations. I start pollinating flowers when the petals get about 3/4 of the way relaxed and make the same cross 3-5 days in a row so I try to get the flower as soon as it is ready to accept the pollen. Other than that, there is a slim possibility that a natural pollination could occur but I don't see many bees around yet!

AMAZING!
Is the media you're using only sphagnum peat moss, or do you do a ratio of peat:sand? What brand did you end up buying as well? Thanks, and keep up the fantastic work!

Thats the most neat and organized bog that Ive ever seen . . . . Absulutely beautiful!
You must be a bit obsessive compulsive :grin:

Thats the most neat and organized bog that Ive ever seen . . . . Absulutely beautiful! You must be a bit obsessive compulsive :grin:

Maybe just a little! Actually the bogs aren't very organized like the plants are in rows. They are kinda just where I could fit them. I do however try to keep them as neat as I can and that is where the OCD comes in!!!

I use a 50/50 mix of peat/sponge rock in the bottom half to 2/3 and 50/50 peat/sand on the top half or so. The reason I did that is so the perlite doesn't float to the top after it rains. I hate that! The brand of peat is Faffard grower grade. The sand is from a local place that sells it by weight and I bought a little over 2 tons for all 5 beds. Hope this helps!

Your bogs are beautiful, as I've told you often Wes, but there is actually no true OCD in your cultural practice. If anything...you are practicing good gardening common sense. Master gardeners like to keep dead growth, weeds, air-born rubbish, etc eliminated from the growing area not only for the aesthetic appeal, but for the health benefits of the growing area.

I've seen MANY home made bogs, both private and commercial (ie. botanical gardens) that allow the growth of weeds and other local flora to establish in the soil along with the cps and these folks often wonder why their plants are not as robust or healthy looking as yours or mine or anyone else who is 'quasi' OCD. ummm...DUH! That's a no brainer! I've even been informed by some of these growers that they think their plants and/or growing arrangement are model examples. BOY...are they misinformed.

I'll never forget the day I visited the home of a long standing member of the BACPS to see his collections. A pillar in the cp community and somewhat famous in his own right. He had multiple bog containers that were so overgrown with grass and weeds that the Sarracenia were hardly discernable. It was a major letdown. A 10 year old child could have produced better results. I know he was excited about my visit. I know he was proud to show off his alleged famous collection and I remained a perfect gentleman during the whole experience; no derogatory remarks. But...he must have been able to read the expression on my face and lack of enthusiasim and that was all it took to never be invited back. No love loss on my part. This famous man's collection was nothing less that pure crud!
And his greenhouse was just as bad. It was OMG bad in fact. He was certainly no Peter D'Amato. Now THERE is a good grower!

Hey...I allow a certain percentage of stray weeds here and there, no biggie. I can't always get to them all. It's just that they don't comprise the majority of the collection in my containers. Shame on him!

Keep doing what you're doing Wes. I said it before and I'll say it again...Your bog gardens are magnificent. They are the best and most diverse I have ever seen, private or professional, in person and online and you have set the bar for excellence in cultural staging and practice. It's people like you that I have no trouble gifting plants to because I know they will be cared for properly and will become focal points in your extraordinary collection.

As far as I'm concerned you should be voted the only recipient of the NASC National Sarracenia Collection. I think you've earned it hand over fist. But then I guess I'm biased.

Thank you SOOO much for such kind words Phil. You are one of the greatest growers that I know of or have seen and your plants are an inspiration to others as they are some of the best grown around. I do my best to grow my collection to the best of my abilities and weed them as much as I can. Due to my job I have a little more time off than most people and I am thankful so I can spend more time doing things around the bogs etc. Thanks again for the nice words and I will talk to you soon!

Back