What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fan + Science + Air vents = Air circulation?

• Thread starter Capensis
  • Start date
I was wondering "If warm air rises, then wouldn't cooler wind a fan produces make the warmer air rise, thus making air circulation?" The temp in the tank might go down just a bit, but it would be better to have circulation than the temp, right?

I don't understand your question. If you have a fan, you're going to have air circulation regardless of any temperature differentials. The air is being moved physically, not thermally.

The fan doesn't produce anything, it just moves what's behind it forward and outward. The air it's "pushing" will be the same as the air it's "pulling" unless some evaporative cooling takes place, and then the air would have to go through or over something wet for that to occur, and the temps and RH already present have a play in that, too. Adequate circulation will "homogenize" the RH and temperature inside your terrarium.

Are you talking about blowing cool from elsewhere through a vent into your terrarium? This will cool it down some if that's what you're looking for, but if all you want it air circulation, then just put a fan inside your terrarium. Of course not sealing it is good, but doesn't really cut it IMO. You just totally lost me with this post. I'm not sure what you're talking about.

When I'm talking about a fan, I mean a ceiling fan on the roof. The air that it "pushes" as to what you say will make the air above the terrarium rise since it's warmer, right? Will, if the air can circulate better bercause of that, that means a ceiling fan can be of use to circulate the air in the terrarium by having the air in the top rise quicker becuase of the "wind" the fan creates, thus making it rise or escape. See where I'm going with this?

A ceiling fan? Lmao.

:-)) :-)) :-))

Tears are coming out! Why would you do THAT? I mean.. that's really silly. Just get a small fan and put it inside your terrarium. What's the problem with this? And a fan, ceiling or otherwise, is going to create air circulation REGARDLESS of the temperature. You could have a fan in a room that's 100 degrees, and if the fan is on there will be air circulation.

Maybe Butch will step in and lecture us on Boyle's law and Bernoulli's principle :-))

nope.

just put a small fan in your terrarium like a PC fan. itll move the air. bam. air circulation. having an external fan will replace the air inside...so you get less humidity too. WAY less humidity.

Alex

Will, I don't have any room for a small fan for my tank. I don't think I can get one anyways. I was just wondering if I could rely on my ceiling fan to give my tank circulation :p.

Usually, you want to exchange air. So....way less humidity isn't necessarily a bad thing. I would set a fan as an exhauster, to pull hot, stagnant air out and refresh with outside air. Ever wonder why some plants may not do well and fungus appears? Its all about the air mon ami! All of my Nepenthes in my terrarium when i first started out where...OK but after I added an exhaust fan, what a difference! Plus, the humidity won't drop to like 30% anyways, the terrarium is an enclosure with moisture and plants in it, so the relative humidity should be fine. Nothing like WAY less humidity...

"If warm air rises, then wouldn't cooler wind a fan produces make the warmer air rise, thus making air circulation?"

Fans don't cool the air - at all - it just feels that way because your skin has sweat glands.
~Joe

Fans don't cool the air - at all - it just feels that way because your skin has sweat glands.
~Joe

True, but I already knew that. I'm talking about the cooler air of the room.

Oh OK - it seemed like maybe you were operating under that premise.
~Joe

Back