What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Calling the Grow room growers

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
I want to know what types of lights your using. The fixtures really. I am trying to get a feeling for what type of fixtures to use. I want to go the cheapest route with most light. I am thinking about T-8's and was looking at doing it DIY, but then I will have no reflector. I am trying to go the the least expensive because I will be setting up a pretty big grow room right off the bat when I get to MN. Thanks in advance.

At the hardware store near my house I saw this light fixture that I think was about $8.00. It said Shop Lite on the box. It has reflectors (I think) and chains to hang from. I guess that's pretty cheap because I saw some plant/aqauarium light for $35.00.

The Lights of America $9 fixtures from Walmart. They run T8s and T12s. I use 7 of them I think.

DON'T GET THE PULL CHAIN ONES

I currently run about 9 t12 standard fixtures, and starting to debate the use of them. While my plants seem to grow fine, I feel some are lacking enough light that they want in order to pitcher, the rest of the conditions are pretty good and stable IMO. I have mylar on some of my fixtures, while not on others.

Cheap lights might be fine to start off with, but if you arn't happy with the result, consider upgrading it later.

i use the cheapest T8 fixtures i can find at Home Depot.....dont think they have reflectors but i dont care as that means i can fit more above the plants.....

I use power compact 6700K and 10,000K. These cost more and make the plants happy however I've read that you can get good growth from daylight shop lights sold from lowes or home depot. I would like to know the best model to purchase from the hardware store becuase I'm thinking of selling my lamps. Replacement bulbs for power compacts are expensive and I do not see the need if you can get the same growth from cheap lights. From what I've read you want daylight shop light bulbs atleast 80 to 100 watts.

I have had the best luck with the ones at Home Depot. The ones at walmart seem to crap out on me more than the ones at HD. There like $8 but they have little reflectors. Good luck

Jay.

ok I don't know what you consider cheap but I just bought one of these (from the exact company I'll link you too) and it is GREAT. Very good price for what you get. And they even have slightly cheaper ones if you don't want/need a lensed hood. I like the lensed hood becase it acts as a thermal break making it alot cooler.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1000w-HPS-MH-Gr...3635617QQihZ008QQcategoryZ42225QQcmdZViewItem

I highly reccomend them fast shipping and great service. They have lesser halide kits too if you don't think you need 1000 watts but come on, might as well go big or go home. Since I don't grow in a green house I figured I might as well go big as I can...lol

Just don't look directly at the bulb while its on... WOW is it bright. I used to use 400 watt MH's and the 1000 watt mh is insanely bright comapred to it. Plus you can't beat 110,000 lumens!

Thanks for the replies. Now I just need to figure out how to keep the fixtures dry once I mount them under the racks I plan to use.

Flip I am going to be going with flourescents because of heat and the ammount of lights I am going to be using before its said and done. 400 watts is about 11-12 flourescent tubes. I do not want the power bill to hit the roof when I start this room up. Using HPS or MH will heat the room up and then you cannot get as much in the room because of the distance you have to put the light. I should have mentioned flourescent fixtures. I am envisioning a realy good stocked room. Plus a bunch of seedlings. Also Flip, those light are saddly ineffeficient and loose lumens really fast compaired to flourescents.

well, you can duct cooling and it actually is very cool as the hot air is vented outside the room (mine uses a 4" ducting with an inline fan). And even with the lumen loss you still end up with more lumens in the long run 110,000 vs about 40,000 for a 8 buld t5). Also Utilizing light movers can be a good way for one to use one MH over a larger area. You can also use electronic ballasts vs. the magnetic ones. But you are right is electricity usage is one of teh concerns then flourescents can be a better option. I've always used MH and just prefere it over flourescents, I would have to use 24 flour. bulbs to get the same lumens if I went with t5's.

If you're interested in t5s I think the compnay I linked to also sells them.

t5s or t8s doesn't matter as long as its a good setup. I have heard about the light movers and seen them , but that still spreads out over a horizontal space. In order to utilize the space I have, I have to be able to go vertical. So even if I wanted to use MH, I wouldn't be able to utilize the space effectively. I will start looking at the t-5 fixtures, but if they are as pricey as I think they are then I may just use the t-8 fixtures I can get for inexpensive at wal-mart or lowe's. When using a good reflector you can increase lumen produced from the fixture. But unfortunately those are the pricier fixtures. So I guess I will still look and debate. I have more time to think about it. I am just trying to get my ducks in order so I have some ideas. So Thanks Jess!

Would this fuxture work good on this shelving system? The fixture is only 10" wide according the the dimensions and 47" long. It should fit in between the shelving uprights since the shelve is 48" long. I am just concerned it is not wide enough for the shelves. Since they are 18" wide. Am I making a big deal about nothing? Will the plants on the shelve below get the amount of light needed? I was also looking at this fixture it is 49" long but should fit in between the shelving rails from front to back. It is slick looking It is wider than the other fixture and I am thinking it would be better for the shelving rack I want to use.

The fixture is not that bad priced wither at $129 and that comes with two 6500K bulbs and two 3000K bulbs for growing and flowering, or you can get all of one type if you want. I was thinking about ordering the monster kit that comes with 2 fixtures and a total of 16 bulbs for $280.

Now keep in mind I am still just starting to research this stuff. Do t-5 HO fixture really put out more light than the t-8 counter part with the same amount of bulbs. Are they worth using over t-8's? Since I know t-8 bulbs and fixtures are relatively inexpensive at Wal-mart and Lowe's. Are these a good price for t-5 fixtures and bulbs?

I like the fact that is is just one fixture to hang under the shelve and it has all four lights in it. The add said it uses a high quality ballast that doesn't cold start the bulbs for improved lamp life. Where as the cheap fixtures may cold start or do not drive the lamps efficiently. This is all new to me and I am curious to know what other folks think of it.

Jess thank again for the link.

I always say go big or go home! I started with VHO lighting, and it was better than NO but not nearly as good as MH. I am so happy with my MH! It can not be beat for intensity, but if you want color you had better go with T5's.

The secret to T5's is the reflector. Thats why TEK lights are so expensive, because they have the best reflector. That fixture is cheap because it doesn't have individual reflectors, so you're wasting light. Even with a bad reflector, four (or whatever number) T5's are still better than four NO.

Well I gave you my explanation for not wanting MH. I cannot utilize my vertical space if I have a MH the shelves would block the light. I plan to have shelves upon shelves before i am done Clint. You folks obviously do not understand the caliber I am planning. So I need to be able to roll racks together. Almost like a rolling bench GH. So I need to use fluorescents no questions asked. And according to the literature fluorescents over time hold lumens longer than MH and at a better cost to run. So thats another factor.

My question now is are t-5 lights that much better than t-8's. For the price of the fixture and bulbs. Is the plants that much better when grown with t-5 vs t-8's

Absolutely! Without question! Go look at Butch's pictures. Proof enough!

I don't see why those fixtures wouldn't work with those shelves. It should be a good setup. Maybe I'm not understanding your setup but what will you do when the plants start to grow taller and vine? As far as t5 vs t8, I would definatly go with the t5's if budget permits. You will definatly get a higher quality of growth assuming you compared the two with them using similar reflecters....

Also you're right about the MH's loosing lumens compared to flour. but they have such a higher lumen output then the flours. to begin with that even when they do loose slowly loose lumens they can still output a intense amount of lumens. Plus its recoomended you change out bulbs every 12-16 months anyways to avoid loosing to many lumens to lamp fatigue....However each lighting have thier optimal application usage. If I wasn't able to use MH's for whatever reason I would definaly go with t5's.

ok Then. I will definately look into t-5 fixtures and bulbs then. Might end up using a combination of t-5's and t-8's so I can spread the cost out a little bit.

Jess, I will have mainly orchids and seedlings on the racks. That is why I am wanting to have rack by rack by rack that i will have to move to get to each selve system to fit more in the space. Because I will have to have an area for vining nepenthes obviously, not the entire room would be for shelves. A MH light might be feasable there, but at this time I was more concerned about the flour. MH are a no brainer, but they are energy suckers.

Would this fuxture work good on this shelving system? The fixture is only 10" wide according the the dimensions and 47" long. It should fit in between the shelving uprights since the shelve is 48" long. I am just concerned it is not wide enough for the shelves. Since they are 18" wide. Am I making a big deal about nothing? Will the plants on the shelve below get the amount of light needed? I was also looking at this fixture it is 49" long but should fit in between the shelving rails from front to back. It is slick looking It is wider than the other fixture and I am thinking it would be better for the shelving rack I want to use.

The fixture is not that bad priced wither at $129 and that comes with two 6500K bulbs and two 3000K bulbs for growing and flowering, or you can get all of one type if you want. I was thinking about ordering the monster kit that comes with 2 fixtures and a total of 16 bulbs for $280.

Now keep in mind I am still just starting to research this stuff. Do t-5 HO fixture really put out more light than the t-8 counter part with the same amount of bulbs. Are they worth using over t-8's? Since I know t-8 bulbs and fixtures are relatively inexpensive at Wal-mart and Lowe's. Are these a good price for t-5 fixtures and bulbs?

I like the fact that is is just one fixture to hang under the shelve and it has all four lights in it. The add said it uses a high quality ballast that doesn't cold start the bulbs for improved lamp life. Where as the cheap fixtures may cold start or do not drive the lamps efficiently. This is all new to me and I am curious to know what other folks think of it.

Jess thank again for the link.

Thats the shelf that I use with 8 "Lights Of America" fixtures attached via zip ties. Two fixtures per level. Works great for me! Got a Sabre, jacq, eymae, ventricosa red, mirabilis, albo, and a few hybrid pitchers as well as sundews under them and they are all happy as can be!

That shelf is a great buy by the way. Super sturdy!

-J.P.

Yeah we use those types of shelves at work and i have used them at a restaurant I used to work at too. I think I might start our with the t-8 bulbs because i will have to get the entire grow room started at one time, and then upgrade as I get funds in to do so. Thanks for the replys.

Josh - sorry for jumping in here so late. I use standard T12 bulbs, four per shelf, but I have room for six and just haven't upgraded. They work well for me. I would go with T8 at the very least, except I have access to free T12 bulbs at my work. Whenever I move or change jobs, I'll most likely upgrade similar to what you are doing.

I'm pretty sure you've seen this already, but here is some information about my growing area.

Good luck, and I look forward to seeing some photo pictorials of the project come next year.
xvart.

Back