What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

just showing my terrarium

im new here and....i just wanted to say hi by showing some pics of my set up...p.s..im a new cp grower

Get those non tropical plants out of that terrarium and put them in full sun, venus flytraps and sarracenia can live years and years and years but only live 1-2 years in tropical conditions.

Yeah, I would move those pitcher plants outa there. But you can still use that terrarium for some cool lowland plants.

-Max

As long as the temps & light go down in the winter there's nothing wrong with them in there...it is just a hella lot harder than outside!

Your plants look good though!

Welcome to the forums Divine Tree. Congrats on setting up a terrarium. Unfortunately, as DM and Maxx have pointed out, those plants would best be suited for growing outside of a terrarium. I do not know where you live, but those plants tend to do well outside, especially in summer. I do not have much experience with those types of plants either, but I can say that your terrarium would make a nice home to some fine Nepenthes plants. Good luck, and keep us updated :).

Daniel

Hey, welcome! You could do as the others have said, or you could go with just moving the whole terrarium outside when it's winter.

Or you could do some complex thing where you dig them up every winter and put them in your fridge in plastic bags...

Hey DT,
welcome to the forums! :)

sorry everyone is piling on you about the terrarium! ;)
but everyone is right...VFTs and Sarracenia do very poorly in terrariums, and will eventually die.
they do SOOO much better and its SOOO much easier to grow them outdoors!
better for them - direct sunlight is free, they feed themselves, they get the changing seasons they need.
easier for you - dont have to provide light or feed them, dont have to worry about "making them go dormant"..
cant go wrong...

here is a quote from my webpage..its easier to just copy and paste it:

Please note that the fridge does not cause or create the dormancy!
it simply maintains the dormancy that was already started naturally by keeping the plants outdoors all season..the plants need to be already dormant before they go in the fridge.

In my opinion, VFT's and Sarracenia should never be grown indoors or especially in terrariums..
the climate inside a terrarium is just all-wrong for them..
the climate is fine for a few months...but VFTs and Sarrs need very different climates at different times of year..

Keeping VFTs and Sarrs in a terrarum is the same as trying to grow maple tree bonsai in a terrarium..
you can replicate June - August ok in a terrarium..sunny and warm..but what about the other 9 months of the year?

Maple trees need a gradually warming spring to come out of dormancy, a gradually warmer and sunnier summer, a gradually cooler and darker autumn, then a cold and dark winter to be fully dormant.

...cycle repeats...

so do VFTs and Sarracenia.
its not an option..its a necessity.

If you grow a maple tree indoors it will die within a year...the non-changing environment of a terrarium will also eventually kill a VFT.

VFTs need it warm and REALLY sunny in the summer..DIRECT sunlight..
where can you find that? outdoors in the summer!
Nature provides the perfect light for free..
then you need gradually decreasing photoperiod and gradually decreasing temps from summer into autumn..
where can you find that? outdoors..again nature does all the work for us.

The only tricky season for those of us in the Northern states is the winter..Spring, Summer and Autumn are a breeze..just keep the plants outdoors April - October.
but the plants need a COOL winter..the winter of South Carolina..
but winters in the northern states are too severe and will kill them if the plants are left outdoors..

If you have a cool basement or attic, or a garage that stays in the 40's (4-10C) all winter, thats fine
for dormancy..or ideally, if you live in the southern US where winters are mild, just leave your plants outside 24/7/365! but right now I lack any of those conditions..hence, they are going in the fridge!

http://gold.mylargescale.com/scottychaos/CP/page2.html

Scot

WOW thanks everybody for the input, ill tryout the outside thing!

Welcome to TF.... and Mr. Chaos has good advice.

Back