What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting a grow rack

I wanted to start up a grow rack for my nepenthes and cephalotus.Can i have lowlanders on one shelf and highlanders on the other.What do i need to do to get both shelves going, and witch shelf would the cephalotous go on lowlander or highlander.

Would love to see some pictures of grow racks.

Where do you live? It could depend on that.

Lowlanders in a tank can be grown just about anywhere. You may need a heater in the tank.

The Ceph should go on the Highlander part.

Can i have lowlanders on one shelf and highlanders on the other.

As long as you can modify the temperatures on each shelf to the adequate daytime/nighttime needs you can do anything you want. The difficulty is because they are so close in proximity to each other and true highlanders and true lowlanders will need very different conditions. Somehow, you'll have to devise a way to keep one shelf hot and humid and the shelf below it warm during the day and cooler at night. If you can figure out a way, you can do anything. You might have to enclose or add a heater to the LL shelf or add fans to the HL shelf.

Would love to see some pictures of grow racks.

Here is my recent thread about the evolution of my growing space.

xvart.

I live in NSW Australia.I do have a 3ft tank that i could use for the lowlanders that i will just sit it in the rack,would a fish pond heater do to warm it up and should i have it on 24/7 or what is recomended.I also would like to know if heliamphora can be grow on either shelf with any other plants that could be suggested.I like the look of those other grow racks.

heliamphora, cephs are more like typical highlanders in habit. This is especially true for helis which face intense baking sun during the day but very very cold conditions at night. Yet, they are forgiving enough for the most part. I grow my cephs in almost intermediate conditions. daytime is around 70-72F and night is like 60F.

Back