What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Plastic pools and other water tray substitutes

• Thread starter seedjar
  • Start date

seedjar

Let's positive thinking!
So I've been looking for some plastic kiddie pools to keep my outdoor plants in, except I can't find them anywhere. I've tried hardware stores, dollar stores, etc. and everybody has those soft-sided pools nowadays it seems. I just need some really big trays - any suggestions?
~Joe

Target, Walmart,...

Cement mixing tubs are good too, I use those as big water trays or bog gardens :)

One of the trays I'm using is a Sterilite brand stoarge bin usually used for under the under bed storage. Someone gave it to me for free. It's about 18 inches by 4 feet and 8 inches deep.

I've used Sterilte/rubermaid similar trays in various sizes, but they don't seem to last terribly long maybe two years. The UV/outdoor conditions eventually ruins the plastic, making it very brittle. At the end of the season I'd pick up a tray and the side or edges would snap off.

John Phillip of the NECPS occasionally would bring in fish trays and they seem very sturdy. They are about 18 inches by 12 inches and two inches tall. I like them for my VFTs since the water never gets too deep when it rains.

Pricey, but sturdy would be trays restaurants use when the busboys clean tables. You can find them at restaurant suppliers.

Oh, for LARGE scale operations, Ive seen pond liner and a box made of 2 x 4's used too. That can get kinda pricey though.

The initial shape of of your water "trough" would be the 2 x 4's which will serve as your "skeleton" -- once you drape the pond liner over it, viola! A nice water trough for ya!

I think there are some in Toys-R-Us.

Sams, busboy tubs. Mine have lasted about 8 years so far.

I purchased 2 kiddie pools from ace hardware last year and about 2 weeks ago I went to get something and saw them there.
You could also Build a box from 3/4" plywood and paint it good with fiberglass resin.

I agree with RCO911, cement mixing tubs about 3 feet by 4 feet do a better job than the kiddee pools. More bang for you buck so to speak. they are a little smaller jest as deep and made out of more durable plastic. last longer.@ strong people can move one unless of course you used sand in the mix
jest put a couple of empty 5 " pots in the into the media . fill up the pots when you water, do this severaltimes until you are sure
P's and ZC'sLifetime of kiddee pools in the sun about 3 yrs. collapse easily hold more plants.cost 9.99 at j_ l mart
Lifetime cement mixing tubs 6 yrs holds less plant ,makes a gr8 protable bog and still goin strong. about 11.99 at da big box stores.
If you live where it gets really like over 100 * hot, paint the outside with some white outdoor paint.
My experience speaking here

I disagree with wild bill . although he is one heck of a cephalotus grower,I have found that the sterlite diintegrates too easily in the sun 1-2 yrs max for me.
Lois

Academy, i was just there yesterday and they have them stacked outside....

~b

I only got 1 year out of my sterilite tub.

cement tubs are a lot more durable.

I'll put my opinion in as well. I used the sterilite tubs and like others say, they do not hold up very long. I use the mortar mixing tubs with great success, but if you use them with short pots (like 4" pots) they're so deep that your plants get flooded. I use perlite in my mix, and that all floats out and I have to repot. I drilled a drainage hole about halfway up the side of the tub so it won't flood. If i need to leave for an extended period of time, say up to a week, I put wine corks in the holes so the tray will hold more water for while I'm gone and I move the smaller pots to more shallow pans like a cat litter box or something similar.

I also agree that the mortar mixing tubs make excellent bog gardens! Dwayne and I use them to grow irises, water hyacinths, lotuses, and grow out trays for small water lillies. They're excellent for growing U. gibba as well. U. gibba grows well anywhere, but in my experience it doesn't bloom well if it is floating. If it's affixed to some time of soil in shallow water, it blooms continuously. Our mortar tray of gibba is usually covered in yellow blooms during the summer.

Will

Back