What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey there guys and gals. I just wanted to post a few shots of some of my plants. Here's the big bog

RoxiesBackyardBogs004.jpg

This one is flytraps galore!

RoxiesBackyardBogs007.jpg

This mini-bog is all S. alata 'Mobile Bay'

RoxiesBackyardBogs011.jpg

Here's an overall view of the mini-bogs. Landscaping will come later.

RoxiesBackyardBogs006.jpg

Leah Wilkerson

mini-bogs2008020.jpg

My favorite flytrap. Cross Tooth

mini-bogs2008015.jpg

This shot of S. minor reminds me of Godzilla for some reason.

mini-bogs018.jpg

S. oreophilla

mini-bogs034.jpg

This S. minor hybrid produced a double lidded pitcher. Strange, I'm nowhere close to a nuclear power plant.

RoxiesBackyardBogs.jpg

S. rubra 'Long Lid'

RoxiesBackyardBogs016.jpg

Big Mouth

RoxiesBackyardBogs028.jpg

S. purpurea var. montana

RoxiesBackyardBogs027.jpg

Unknown but pretty

RoxiesBackyardBogs032.jpg

Royal Red

RoxiesBackyardBogs034.jpg

S. flava x alata Red/Black

NewvPlants002.jpg

D. capillaris

Sundews006.jpg

That's it for now. I'll post pics of more of my plants later. I hope y'all enjoy.

Great plants! I love your purpurea var. montana and your leah wilkerson.

Thank you very much. That's a sampling of the plants in my collection. I'll post more pics as time goes on.

Some interesting and attractive plants there. The sphagnum is nice and green in some of those pics, so it looks like you're doing it right!

I used only peat last year when I originally planted my containers. Next Spring I intend to redo the soil with the appropriate mix of sand added.

Awesome plants! Lol, that pic of the minor pitcher reminds me of Godzilla, too. That S. rubra 'long lid' looks a lot like an S. alata to me.

Here are a few more pics. This little plant came from a packet of assoerted hybrids seed from the ICPS. I'm thinking Hammerhead, but that's just me.

RoxiesBackyardBogs042.jpg

Another one of my favorite plants, S. flava.

RoxiesBackyardBogs030.jpg

Here's Pinguicula primuliflora.

RoxiesBackyardBogs024.jpg

Here's S. x catesbaei intergrated into a water feature.

RoxiesBackyardBogs001.jpg

S. leucophylla.

mini-bogs040.jpg

P. planifolia

mini-bogs036.jpg

S. alata 'Purple Helment'

mini-bogs001-1.jpg

I'm thinking that this is S. alabamensis.

mini-bogs2008075.jpg

Unknown hybrid

mini-bogs2008056.jpg

Drosera intermedia.

mini-bogs2008053.jpg

Drosera filiformis ssp. traycii and D. filiformis ssp. filiformis

mini-bogs2008049.jpg

S. alata x minor

mini-bogs2008028.jpg

Dana's Delight

CPs003.jpg

S. flava var. ornata

CPs002.jpg

S. alata 'Mobile Bay'

CarnivorousPlants005-1.jpg

Hey Capensis. There is a lot of similarities between S. alata and S. rubra. The main difference is pitcher size and flower color. Those rubra pitchers are only about 6 inches tall, where S. alata pitchers will approach three feet in a couple of more months. I've got S. alata plants that send up Spring pitchers that are almost indistinguishable from rubra pitchers. Very thin and snake-like with a tendency to lay over with just the lid and throat upright.

what's those little white stuff?

and its looking very good.

Hey there Upper. The white stuff that you are seeing is Crepe Myrtle blooms that are constantly being blown into the mini-bogs. Impossible to keep up with on a daily basis. I just try to make sure that none of my smaller plants are smothered out by them. aka Drosera brevifolia. The obvious solution would be to prune the devils back, but then I would have to deal with my sister who I rent from. Hell hath no fury after all so I'll just keep digging out fallen blooms.

I wouldn't want to live in MS but I must say that you have an enviable CP setup going!

I am blessed to live where I live. I live in the Land of Alata my friend. Spring comes early, Summer stays late, and the winters are mild at best. When my CPing friends that inhabit the northern climate have their bogs under mulch, I'm still posting pics of three foot pitchers. Mulch.....that's another plus. I don't have to. Happy growing to you.

Here's some pics of the S.pupurea heterophylla that I won in the NASC auction in it's new home.
PitcherPlants017.jpg

My goal was to get a few anthocyanin-free plants together in their own little mini-bog.
PitcherPlants019.jpg

So far the purp is the last plant in there. Also in the 'green' bog is S. leucophylla, S. rubra ssp. wherryi, S. rubra ssp. jonesii, and S. rubra ssp. gulfensis. I'm going green in the bogs!

Looks like you had an aphid problem at some point in time in some of your first pics, some of the pitchers were all bent like you would see in an aphid infestation. i hope you got rid of them if that was the case, but regardless, some beautiful plants.

No aphids my friend. The bent pitchers that you saw were because the plants had been shipped to me wrapped in a plastic bag much like you would get a newspaper in on a rainy day. I keep a can of Ortho Orthenex on hand at all times and deploy it at the very first hint of any pest problem. It's my WMD of choice.

Back