What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PVC watering device

I thought of a cool way to water a mini/large bog or a pot, without making a big mess and knocking over small plants. First you take a peice of PVC pipe, long enough to go about halfway to the bottom of the soil. Put some kind of fine screen or net over one end of the pipe, then put one of those PVC cover things on the other end of it. Drill some small holes all over the tube. Now stick the tube, covered end down, into the soil so that just the top of the pipe is sticking out of the top of the soil. To water you just pour the water down the tube until it fills up, then the water drains out the sides into the pot, without making a big mess. The screen on the pipe is to keep anything from going/falling in (Bugs, leaves, frogs, etc). You can put it anywhere, or you can put it near plants that like alot more water than others. You can also use more than one if it's a big bog. I tried to make this picture in paint.
PVCwateringpipe.jpg

People already do this, and it's also an easy way to remove water. I'd say it's a must in a large bog!

Yeah I thought people might already do this, but I wasn't sure. I'm definately gonna make one. But I don't understand how it's an easy way to remove water. How can you do that?

Excess water will also flow back into the pipe (if you use a long pipe that extends to the bottom of the bog) and you can pump it out when you feel it's too high, like after a hard rain.

Oh ok, so then you should have no holes near the bottom of the pipe for water to build up, and maybe put an aquatic CP in there too?

I have one but without the holes in the side. I figured they'd just get clogged with peat. There is a bunch of lava rock at the bottom and the pvc is on top of that with the soil packed around it. There are two drain holes on the sides of the container.

I just thought that the holes would let the water go to the sides and towards the plants I guess.

there have been many adaptations of this technique to fit each person's individual style search this section and you'll find many variants of the watering technique,

oh and probably not big enough for an aquatic just fyi, most aquatics will grow and increase size very quickly. most aquatics are going to require more space eventually than almost any terrestrial. most "tank" held aquatics end up with a 10g, unless you go with the jar method, and even then you lend yourself to some pruning on a monthly basis.

you could make an entirely seperate waterbog for your aquatic endeavors however... :)

Its a good idea..
but how is it any different than *not* having a pipe and simply pouring water on the bog?

Scot

It's not, it's only purpose is to be able to easily siphon off water. If you have sphagnum or are gentle, you're not going to bother the media.

Back