What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I made my mini bog

So I made a mini bog yesterday. It's pretty small, I made it out of a cooler. I planted a small S. Leucophylla in the middle. My VFT had a huge amount of leaves, so I took it out of the soil, and it turns out that it was just 4 plants planted really close to eachother. I put one in each corner of the bog. Here are some pics :D

Side view
P7010014.jpg

Top view
P7010016.jpg

The S. Leucophylla
P7010017.jpg

And one of 9 little bonuses that came in the Leucophylla's pot
P6300010.jpg

yep
both drosera seedlings are capensis :3

One of them I know is a capensis, but the others all look way different. They have a little thing on the end where the tentacles are, instead of like a capensis, with tentacles halfway along the stem. It's a small T shape.
I circled it with red. It leans to the left some.
P6300010-1.jpg

binata?

It could be... I'll let them grow up then try to ID them.

I hope it's something other than a capensis. I want different kinds of drosera.

That's a cool little setup. Just goes to show that CPers are a resourseful bunch. Good luck with everything. Did you by any chance provide for drainage with the cooler setup?

good setup i hope to do something like that but i may not have enough space

That's why you put it outside! (Unless you live in a condo or have no yard whatsoever!).

xvart.

Nice job maneatingmoo. Good luck with it :)

Did you by any chance provide for drainage with the cooler setup?

No, I thought mini bogs don't need drainage holes. I could make some if I need to, but I think the walls of a cooler are full of insulation stuff or something.

You don't need alot of room. This was made from a small cooler, about 10 inches long, about 7 inches wide, and about 6 inches tall. You just stick it outside where it get's lots of light, like a porch, garden, table, anywhere.

Cool mini bog!

I always put in a drainage hole about halfway from the top of the container. I stay gone a lot with my work and that way if it rains before I get back the water level dosen't get too high and float the plants out or drown them while I'm gone.

Oh that kinda makes sense. But if the hole is under the soil, wouldn't it dry out faster?

Oh that kinda makes sense. But if the hole is under the soil, wouldn't it dry out faster?

i wouldnt want my plant to dry out so fast.... in fact i dont even want it be dry at all.

Putting the drainage hole halfway provides drainage for the top half and lets water sit in the bottom half of the container and wick up through the soil. The soil never actually dries completely out unless severly neglected for say a week or so.

Oh ok. I'll drill a hole tomorrow.

Back