What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aquariums look so much cooler without rims

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Check it. I took the rims off and ripped out all of the silicone to make it really clean-cut.

This was a scratched up aquarium. I practiced on it before I did it to a new one. It was hard finding something that would dissolve silicone residue. I was lazy, so I left the residue on the bottom glass, since you can't see it when there's media anyway. You can see it, it looks like a translucent white strip going all the way around on the bottom. I didn't really go full-force with trying to get the residue off. I just wanted to get enough off to get an idea of what it'll look like. I was stingy with the solvent, too. I didn't want to waste it on something that's going back in the basement to collect dust :p It still holds water lol. I'm not brave enough to use it as an aquarium, though :p

I think the lack of rims make it looks bigger. I think rims box it in. I think it looks good, for a cheap aquarium for walmart. Not an ADA Cube garden :p But also didn't cost $150! The edges are crappy (Don't know if you can see it) because I tried to bevel them with a dremel.... that didn't work.... I sent an E-mail to a local class company asking how much it would cost to bevel the edges and polish them up. The edges weren't meant to be seen, so they aren't perfect. They're good enough to leave alone if you aren't a perfectionist, though. I think that once the edges are beveled and polished on a new aquarium made of Starphire glass and not from wal mart, it'll look as good as an ADA. If you don't know, this is an ADA CG http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/Sapherion/DSC01103.jpg

DSC04078.jpg

DSC04079.jpg

My idea for doing that was I wanted to buy a rimless aquarium to use as a terrarium. Classcages sells a rimless aquarium for 90 dollars more than a "terrarium", which is actually just a fishtank, of the same dimensions. This is understandable. You need thicker glass. What pissed me off was that after explaining my plans, they refused to sell me a "terrarium" without the rim, but at least they gave me poor customer service for free! I'll buy one to the dimensions that I like and remove the rim myself..... but definately not from them. It would have saved THEM money. The amount of the rims! Lame. I read a lot of bad things about them online after that, like sloppy work, yelling and hanging up on customers, leaking, so I'm glad that happened. Blessing in disguise.

Speaking of ADA, guess how much a 20 (give or take a gallon or two) ADA cube garden Supreme costs? Just under three grand, and just because the glass is heat-bonded to each other instead of using silicone. I wonder what that's REALLY worth if it didn't have ADA slapped on it :p

nice....... i dont have space for a terrarium though.

How much water are you planning on having in it? Just as an fyi, be careful of how much water you put in it, the rims are actually pretty important for strength.

I thought about painting the inside to cover up a false bottom and the dirt... but then I was worried about toxins so I figured back silicone would be perfect, and would let me have like an inch or two without fear.

aaaaah.....ADA style eh?? Yeah...watch out for structural failure. In the standard aquarium with those rims, it was useful to keep all those 4 sides in the perfect structural shape distributing the outward pressure of the water inside by all the 4 faces equally. Now without the rim structure at top...these forces are just shared at the silicone seams. This "might" increase the probability of failure. Its a good thing you are first trying this with a smaller, cheaper spare tank. I would be spectical about ripping off the rims of a 90gal tank. ;)

BTW.....what do u plan on keeping in there? ;) aldrovanda with some neon tetra + the classic minimalistic ADA style rockscape?

It'll be a terrarium. Not iwugami (can it be called that if it's not underwater? lol). I want to cram as much crap in there as possible! It will be natural style. I haven't gotten a reply, but the college rules say no aquariums larger than 20 gallons, but it's says that in regards to pets "No pets except fish, aquariums must be well maintained and no larger than 20 gallons blah blah." It didn't say anything about terrariums made out of aquariums. If I get an OK, or decide to be brave (I honestly don't see why they'd make me get rid of it if it was bigger than 20 gallons if it wasn't filled with water and animals...in fact they recommend bringing houseplants...), I'll get a 60 gallon cube. I don't want to waste the time and money to find out I can't keep it on a technicality...but seriously I can't imagine someone interpreting that as a code violation.

People have done this with aquariums 20 gallons and under, but didn't rip out the silicone seal of course. Never had problems, but that doesn't matter to me. I don't want to haul around a fish tank when I have to leave for holidays/summer. Not allowed to leave it plugged in, either, so fish are out. I'm lazy.

Yes. ADA is awesome. If I had a reason to stick the glassware ADA makes on there, I'm do that! He makes equipment pretty to look at like little artistic trinkets.

Sexy!

xvart.

cool. Check this site out if you want some inspiration for landscaping. :)

http://www.wildsky.net/vivarium/evivariu.htm

well....about a 60 gal tank...I think the concern would be about hinderance to your room mates which is why they would limit the size for us. Our triple rooms were pretty small. ;) We had the same thing in our uni. Tanks only 20 gal max. But hey, if u keep something in your room......and be discrete about it.....there's no reason for any problems. I mean for instance...i had a shoplight fixture with CP's...and my indoor greenhouse in my dorm room. Even at the end of the year... the community advisor was shocked to see that in the room. :p lol! She went: That gotta be against the rules. I said: WHere exactly in the residence code of conduct does it say that I can't use light fixtures, have plants, etc?? lol!

Just don't draw too much attention if you are going for something that will stretch the rules. ;) I am not supporting doing illegal stuff. Growing plants, apart from a few specific questionable species....is not something that you can get busted for. ;)

Yeah, I saw my dorm and I have plenty of room. It's a small room, but huge for a dorm room I've been told. I'm not used to tiny spaces so it'll take getting used to. He doesn't care what I do or how I party or what I listen to. He likes techno and he's a democrat. I feel like I won a lottery. He's so laid back, it's like he's taking barbitu.... like I said I feel like I won the lottery.

Technically... growing plants is encouraged, but the issue is whether or not they'll say a glass box is a fish tank if it has no rims, water or fish :p

naah ! you should be fine. Don't worry too much about it. ;) Sounds great that you got a big room though. I am looking for offcampus housing for my next two years of masters. I am looking for a apartment so that I have my freedom. I am planning on making me a nice terrarium to hold all my cp's. The challenge will be the balancing act with temps etc as currently I have highland/ to marginal ultra highland temps in my basement. I truly don't want to loose that. I have got nearly a 1 yr pitcher life on my ceph at these lower temps. I am trying to get a place with an airconditioner so that I can keep it cool, Literally. ;D :D

You'd be surprised at how down to earth and relaxed many RAs are...lots of them will tell you about whatever violation you did and then say, "But it's ok."

Also, my school has the policy that the RAs or room inspectors cannot open cabinets or closets or even touch anything at all...which means any violation can literally be covered with a towel.

The day of your room's inspection, throw that baby over the terrarium, and bingo.

From what I read the only time anyone inspects your crap is if they have probable cause that fed/state/local law or a college rule has been broken. That's all it talked about. They randomly go through your room? Wow.

And whenever you move out to make sure you didn't damage anything lol.

Well not to go further off topic, but since we are talking about my area of professional "expertise" (lol)... As a general rule, the primary job responsibility of RAs (or CAs or whatever alphabet soup acronym they use at your university) besides providing a safe educational environment is to promote and establish a community. Many RAs operate under the principle of not invading privacy as long as you are not disturbing the surrounding community. Basically, what you do in your own room is your business unless it somehow affects the people around (roommate, suitemates, floor mates, other students, etc.). Of course there are always the exception to this rule, and I do not advocate violating hall policy; but, I seriously doubt you would get in any real trouble for growing some carnivorous plants in your room. Worst case scenario, you get busted and you sit down with the Hall Director and he/she says you gotta get rid of it. You certainly won't get kicked out or expelled. Although, with something as cool as CPs word might get around pretty quickly!

You have to remember that residence halls provide a developmental experience, and no other place in the world will you get "lighter" sanctions or punishments because as educators, we are bound to turn whatever offense may have happened into a "teachable moment." I've had conversations with people who have done far worse and still have not removed them from campus housing. Judicial affairs at colleges and universities is just an extension of the academic environment.

That being said, if you do get busted or get in trouble let me know, and I'll help you out.

xvart.

edit: oh, and most schools will go through your room over break periods (thanksgiving, winter, and spring break) for "health and safety inspections."

It did mention holidays.

If they make an issue out of it I'll just down grade. They don't care about plants, they recommend bringing them. Aquariums were only mentioned in regards to housing fish, too. No big deal, if they complain I'll just sell it and, downgrade.

The RAs seem cool. Of course they're "the man" lol. But not you, of course :p

The RAs seem cool. Of course they're "the man" lol. But not you, of course :p

Oh no, Clint. I am "the man." lol.

xvart.

Actually, it's funny. Word does get around. Everyone will want to see your collection!

They don't randomly search our rooms, but there is a week where they come into everyones' rooms and make sure everything is ok.

Back