What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Mini Green House Under Construction.

Tracey, your GH does look awesome! I was just trying to keep you from making some of the same mistakes I did when building a GH from scratch. I do like how you did it! Careful you do not fry your plants with just that one small vent window though. I have a squirrel cage fan to pull the heat out. You know the furnace fans. Move a lot of air. It could not keep up and temps were getting up to 105 in the GH. So I removed two walls to keep the temps from getting higher than ambient.

When I get to MN we have plans to put on a glass sun room so I can grow some plants out there. Along with my basement grow room I will be building. I can't wait to get started with that!

And Sure i would love to chat with you and share some of the things that I have done that I like or don't like. Might save you a little money and time. My yahoo name is JB_Orchidguy. You can also PM me telling me your ready to talk about it. Because obviously there are a lot of different glazings with different R factors and heating methods too.

BTW If you double the plastic with an air gap in between then you will have a little better insulation than just one layer. You would be surprised how much better it keeps in heat.

With that hole in the top, wouldn't birds and squirrels get in?

Thanks JB, you should know by now i love and apreciate any and all advice that you can give me. the door to the green house durring the day will be open as well if i need it and i can install a small fan. The plastic is doubled, our temps durring the day dont get as high as yours, you gota remember this is northern michigan we be real lucky to have more than 2 days of 90% temps. It does however get real humid and muggy at times, i will put some sort of wire mesh over the air vent window to stop birds from getting in but as far as squirrels go, well lets just say there not welcome here.. LOL!! The flying squirrels that come out at night now they are welcome here.. My main concern is stinkin chipmunks i think we are gona go ahead and wire mesh or something around the bottom a certain ways up from the bottom, they can be a real pain in the arse at times.

HPLH, everything that we possibly can squeez into it will go out there for now. I will get picks when its completely done and then you can all let me know what ya think, todays agenda get the door on and the front completed, tables built and get our suplies from home depot to finish it off, then i will give a total of whats been invested into it, hubby says what about my time a labor, GEESH YA THINK THE MAN NEEDS TO BE PAID FOR HIS TIME!!!:censor: :censor: :-)) Im gona remember that when he says "Honey i need this certain part for the car" im gona say geez honey what about my time and labor...:devil: ;) Im the one that keeps that baby in tip top shape nice and shiney and well WAXED!!

oh yeah I forgot about the temps up there. LOL That is why I look forward to moving to MN. Muggy is great for plants!! Not for us but great for plants.

LMAO about time and labor. Your giving him good some loven right? LOL Besides relationships are supposed to be give and take. Shouldn't be out of balance. Then again I do believe he was just giving you a hard time and would do anything for his Dragway Mama!

Looking awsome. For my GH I dont even have a roof vent, all I do is blow a fan from the back end and leave the door open. Cant wait to see pics with plants in it.

Ok guys its done as far as everything being put together and moved to where i want it to sit, all thats left to do is paint, put the tables in, hook up lights, toss in my supplies, look for a tiny fan, toss in a stool or something for me to sit on, cover the floor we desided to go with cypress mulch, i wanted white rock but that was alittle outa the budget.:-( Anyways i will have pics posted of it and everything by sunday its gona be a super busy day for me tomarrow and tomarrow night got trophey races to attend.. WOOT!!!!

once you have all the plants inside the thing show us some pics ^.~. Well anywho the greenhouse is looking great.

-ryan

FINALY SOME PROGRESS!!!! WOOT!!!:-D Ok this is whats done so far, i have been busy busy busy and i finaly got some time and a nice day to get more done, im still not done with the inside and alittle work to do on the outside yet.. I dont care what anyone thinks this is MY LITTLE TEENY TINY GH..:-)) After i get everything in place and the plants in then i will post more pics, i still gota get one more light on the short end with the other light, the left side has 2 shop lights/2 bulbs each, and no my cords are not gona be on the ground, gota get that rigged tomarrow and more supplies put in. Still gota get a tiny fan. I got alittle sun burnt working out on it today, it gets about 3 1/3 hrs of total sun then partial sun for about 2 hrs then shade the rest of the day. Thanks to GP_Princess for helping me get some things we needed for our the little GH..
First pic up how it looks on the outside with door open.
DSCF3210.jpg

With door closed,
DSCF3224.jpg

DSCF3222.jpg

Closer view of the inside, I can adjust the lights to the height i need,
DSCF3212.jpg

DSCF3217.jpg

DSCF3216.jpg

Yes i used makeshift stuff, hey when ya aint got nothing ya go around the house and find stuff to use, light hangers are made outa dog chains and coat hangers.. LOL!!

and thats it for now more to come tomarrow...

Nice greenhouse. I Hope it serves you well :)

WHOOO amazing job, hope it does well. cant wait to make mine!

it looks fantastic apart from the fact that u r using lights. The sun is the best source ever which nothing can match. If moved into an exposed area...I am sure that will be enough.

Thanks guys...

vraev, we dont get much solid sun where we are our property and around the house is solid woods except way down the hillside in the old horses pasture and im not about to put the GH way down there and tote water and supplies back and forth up and down the hillside. Where it sits now is where it gets the most sun but even then its only for a few hrs at most then its spotty and then shade the rest of the day. The lights are for at night as where we live it gets chilly at night and to boot its been rainy alot so for days of cloudy drab weather i will use the lights. Plus less wind hits the spot where it sits now good for no tree branches hitting it durring bad storms and i can keep a eye on it from my office window. Like i stated earlier its not done yet and i will post pics when im completely done and the plants are in.. Gona do some temp readings befour i put the plants in, thanks for the heads up JB!!:-D

Looks like a job well done ! Now will you let the poor guy get back to racin' !!

It looks great! Very cute ;) Can't wait to see it filled with plants :-D

Looks like a job well done ! Now will you let the poor guy get back to racin' !!

LOL!! droseraguy, hubby did get back to racing but i had other things for him to work on again, we ended up taking the tables back out and he added a shelf under both the tables, then i asked him to go to town and grab my mini fan for the window he goes and hangs out with club members and totaly forgets my fan.. RRRRRRRRRR:censor: :censor: So then today i asked him again GRAB MY FAN OR ELSE!!!:censor: And then he comes home with coffee, creamer and my splenda ok wheres my fan? :nono:
So i guess it boils down to ME going and getting it tomarrow and ME taking care of a few other things, everyone that made it to the dragway Saturday night that was in our club made it into there class division finals including hubby, long story short we had few set new times and none of us came home with a tropey.:blush: But atleast they made it right to the end in there calss division. Spike H. one of our council members had a new time and ran a 7. He tried to stay in the 8 sec class but at the end he tried to brake easy just befour the finish line and blew it.. Im hoping to have everything finally done with the GH in a few days and pics finaly up. We have had such craptastic weather here rain then super chilly weather then sunny but chilly im pretty tierd of it, today was not to bad but the nights are dipping low 50's.

seems like you have a reeeeaaally hard life having to do everything yourself, without any help from your husband! ha, no, i'm just kidding. but the green house looks wonderful and is very inspirational! i'm glad to see it turned out so well and i can't wait to see some plants in there!!

you might have already answered this question, but i'm too lazy to go back through these four pages and see if you have... what plants are you planning on keeping in there??

So where's this at now? I had a nice poly greenhouse for one season but sun and wind did it in. Yours looks much nicer than mine did, though. I'm curious to see it with plants.
~Joe

Hey Joe, sorry to get to this so late the mini GH is coverd for the winter and is doing great thru all this snow, dug a path thru more than 2ft of snow to it the other day to check and see how its holding up and get some supplies outa it that i needed and all the plants that were in it durring summer/fall are in my office for winter, got big plans for spring BIGGER GH :-D gona use the smaller one for supplies and such gona build one thats half for CPs divided so that i can keep up the humidity and half open/airy more sunny for all my cactuses & succulents, gona take alot of work but will figure it out and draw up some plans for building it.

Back