What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Book to Learn Wiring?

I am looking around for a useful book that I can try and start learning how to do simple wiring task like hook up fluorescent shop lights without plugs and such. I don't have a very good idea of what book might be useful for this. Recommendations would be appreciated, as there seem to be quite a few books out there.

With that in mind, despite doing a bit of wiring for instrumentation that is atmospheric science related, I am completely unfamiliar with how this sort of thing goes for domestic wiring. Up to this point I used either fixtures with plugs or the sun (works pretty well) but I may put together a stand in the near future and it would be helpful to know how to do that. So, the book would have to be for a real beginner.

As a tack on question, is it always necessary to open up a wall/outlet in order to do this sort of wiring? Being that I am an apartment dweller, that is not an option, and I have been curious if there are other ways to set up this sort of undertaking.

Your local hardware outlet or any book store should have a basic home wiring book. Barnes and Noble, Lowes etc... Don't take the covers off anything in your apartment, besides being dangerous you could be liable and we wouldn't want that. Electricity is not something to play with unless your name is Ozzy.:-))

I have a good home repair book somewhere that I could trade you. My best advice is to go to home depot, or lowes and browse the ones they have there. Find one that 'speaks to you' at your skill set. There's all different levels of wiring, from complex to simple repair. You'd want a good fit.

For your question, there are external methods for adding other wiring to an existing box so that you do not have to cut into the wall. Those are called raceways or external conduit.

-Nate

yeah hey i would watch out

AC can be dangerous to tinker around with

AC IS dangerous to tinker around with

I'd recommend against messing with wiring without formal training. AC will mess you up rather nicely if you're not careful.

Back