What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

lowland nep terrarium

musamusa1975

michael1975
Hi everyone,

This is my first try at growing lowland nepenthes so I'll appreciate any input. I have an aquarium that is about 20"L x 20"W x 10"H. I am using one 24" fluorescent light tube that is 850 Lumens at 5000 K. I covered the back and sides of the aquarium with Mylar. I attached a fan to the top of the tank which blows air onto the acrylic covering then down into the aquarium. Finally, I have a 50 Watt heater submerged at the bottom of the tank.

My questions:
1) Is my lighting sufficient?
2) I haven't been able to find a smaller fan (with a plug). Will the large fan I have with the small opening at the top give my plants the proper air flow?
3) The room the tank is in usually cools to the upper sixty's at night, so I plan to turn the heater off at night. Can I also turn the fan off at night?

I want to grow a few young lowland neps (which I know will soon outgrow the tank)--raff., bical., amp., and albomarginata

Thanks for your time,

Michael

CIMG3403.jpg

CIMG3402.jpg

CIMG3399.jpg

CIMG3398.jpg
[/IMG]

Very nice set up! Not sure about turning the fan off - it depends on what its function is? If its just to recirculate air, I would think turning it off at night would be fine.

As to the Nepenthes growing out of the tank pretty soon, I think you'll find, if you get baby neps, or maybe even seeds to germinate, that it'll last for a few years, at least a year. It depends on what size the neps are to start with, but neps don't grow that fast!

lowland neps dont need circulation as much as highland. they like it muggy and humid and just absolutely blegh to say the least.

No, not enough light.

I have my fan on the timer with the lights in the lowland tank so it is certainly off at night. I have the top glass open very slightly on the far side of the tank opposite of the fan.

I don't use a heater and the temps do dip a bit at night. The result is bicalcaratas that haven't outgrown their tank in a week and a half so I like that. I'd think that turning off the heater at night wouldn't help. It is that night drop that you're trying to remedy.

thanks for the input. so i upgraded the light to 2000 lumens, and "bright light." the bulb didn't have a CRI or anything. the only higher level was "day light," which unfortunately i couldn't find. hopefully for lowland plants i should be alright?
the fan seems too big though, so i've only turned it on a couple of times. i'm still looking for a smaller one.

CIMG3398-1.jpg

CIMG3399-1.jpg

Nice setup! I think it still may need more light, though, I'm not completely sure on that. The N. albomarginata seems like it'll outgrow it very quickly. Is it the only plant in there right now?

Nice albo dude! I suggest getting some light diffuser aka eggcrate. Check electronic surplus stores, you should be able to find a small fan(1" square) for around 15$. It would need to be hooked up to a rectifier and A/C adapter.
Click for a larger view, hope this helps.

Yeah, you don't really need the fan... unless you start to see mold.

Back