What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Updated pictures of my entire collection

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Here are updated pictures of my entire collection:

Indoors:

Cephalotus F.

thisone2.jpg

thisone1.jpg

Outdoors:

S. Rubra, S. Purpurea, D. Capensis, D. Binata, P. Primuiflora.

thisone5.jpg

thisone3.jpg

thisone4.jpg

i really think that the pot outside has too much water, i think...

Very nice :). I think you Ceph's pot may have too much water since it seems to only be peat.

Very nice :). I think you Ceph's pot may have too much water since it seems to only be peat.

Actually, the soil is 1 part peat: 2 parts perlite, with only the top 1/4'' being peat.

As for watering the Ceph, I just watered it this weekend. I only water it once a month, which allows the soil to dry out a little.

Oh, ok, that seems fine then. Sorry for the misundertanding. But, how do you keep the peat so nicely patted like that :p?

Once A Month?!?!??!

thats about how much i water mine, upper.

nice plants. i suggest you give your outdoor plants WAY more light. everything except the ping looks very light deprived. purp pitchers should be on the ground. not in the air. up the lighting and they should bounce back nicely. and for your ceph. after you see growth coming out of it i suggest you take off the the humidity dome. humidity and cephs for me has only proven useful with ceph cuttings. regular plants rot with too much humidity.

Alex

Oh, ok, that seems fine then. Sorry for the misundertanding. But, how do you keep the peat so nicely patted like that :p?

I took dry peat and broke it up (with no clods or anything) till it got to the consistency of sawdust. I then sprinkled it all over the top of the pot and allowed it to soak up the water from the soil below. This kept it nice and compact.

Once A Month?!?!??!

Yep. The pot sits in a saucer that's about 2 inches deep. Since this is indoors, I only need to water it once a month. Besides, I read Cephalotus hates constant waterlogged conditions, so allowing the saucer to dry out helps dry out the soil too.

i suggest you take off the the humidity dome.

I concur. If you have a good window, you might do pretty well with your Cephalotus there, too.

xvart.

Or better yet, put your cephalotus outdoors once the weather cools down. Cephalotus follicilaris likes cool nights like a highland nepenthes. Since you live in florida (zone 9 or 10), you don't have to worry about cold killing your cephalotus. They can take temps down to 32f. Right now, it is too hot to put your cephalotus outdoors. Put it outside in october or so and bring it back inside in the spring when night temperatures go over 65F.

I concur. If you have a good window, you might do pretty well with your Cephalotus there, too.

xvart.

I just ordered a Mexican Pinguicula, and once that arrives, I'll put the Cephalotus and Mexican Ping in the window. I have a south-facing window in my room, so that's where they'll go.

Back