What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you guys think of this Terrarium?

Found this on youtube, and wondering if its one yours? Looks pretty cool though, besides the "not enough light" complaints it'll probably get.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hK3W45vn62E&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hK3W45vn62E&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nah i dont think any of us are dumb enough to try and grow VFTs and Sarras with a Nep....it just doesnt work.

much less indoors....its just not right for the temperate plants. they will die within a year or 2 for sure without their dormancy

Those fishes are going to poop the place up. And are those silver ones barbs? Besides for that, I'm a fan of the Pumpkins, but isn't "Rat In A Cage" a little melodramatic for this content? They could've at least run it through a darkening filter so that things didn't look so bright and colorful. This is a serious mismatch.
~Joe

Old school music. That brought back some memories; however, I agree with Joe. After 90 seconds of looking from different angles of goldfish, I realized I wasn't going to get pumped up.

xvart.

Haha Yea I was a bit intrigued by the music as well, especially with the zooming in and out repeatedly effects toward the end.

Yea I could see if he just had one or two betta fish in there, because shallow water is somewhat similar to their native habitat. He would at least need some kind of filter or water feature to keep things from going stagnant.

So which of those Cp's would grow the best in that kind of condition, and which should be taken out?

Well, I've grown Nepenthes, Dionaea, and Sarracenia side by side on a grow shelf, and they all did fine. The latter two weren't as nice as could be just because my lighting was not as beastly as it could be at the time. Regarding dormancy of the Dionaea and Sarracenia, several growers go through the process of simulating dormancy by putting the plants in the fridge for the winter (see Scot's thread for a detailed account). Although Scot doesn't, I've seen several growers that unpot the plants and put them in bags without soil so it is possible (although unlikely) that the grower in question does the same thing each winter.

xvart.

That looks pretty cool with all the plants and the fishes.

Nah i dont think any of us are dumb enough to try and grow VFTs and Sarras with a Nep....it just doesnt work.

much less indoors....its just not right for the temperate plants. they will die within a year or 2 for sure without their dormancy

I will refer you to Barry Rice's website:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq6010c.html

I have been growing carnivorous plants since 1985, in terraria

Never mind that there are plenty of people here that have also grown CPs indoors for years. It's not hard to realize that people that grow them indoors do give their plants dormancy. Of course their plants will die if they do not have dormancy, but you seem to insinuate that anybody that grows their plants indoors will never be able to give their plants dormancy which is *Spock mode on* Highly illogical. *Spock mode off*

.Well i mean for a prolonged period of time Alien, it would involve ALOT of repotting....and its just not really....advised, you know?

After 90 seconds of looking from different angles of goldfish, I realized I wasn't going to get pumped up.

xvart.

:-))

just because the person is growing temperature plants together with a tropical plant doesn't mean that the person is dumb... the plants also seem to be doing just fine to me.

....fine for now.....and they need more light too.

Yes, it is a rather nice poster indeed. :rookwoot:

that poor fish has so litle space

that poor fish has so litle space

Yeah, thats not enough space at all for those 3 fish. It's really not even enough for one. Bettas need to be in at least 2 gallons to be happy and live their full life span, which is a lot longer than most people think.

Whoever was wondering what type the silver fish are, they're called mollies (plural). The red is a a Betta splendins.
(I've been into aquariums for about 2 1/2 years, so I know what I'm talking about. lol)

As for the terrarium, I don't think it's so great. All of the plants seem like they're on the verge of severe etiolation.

....fine for now.....and they need more light too.

I kida thought the same thing too. Those purps need a heck of a lot more light. The sarrs too were also very light. The only one getting ok light was the nep.

If there was just one fish in there, the beta, it was be fine. They come from shallow pools like that in the wild, but with three it is a little crouded.

As far as growing them side by side. It is possible when the ones that do need dormancy are given it. So growing them side by side for 24/7/365 is not advised but for part of the year it is fine.

that is what i plan on doing every year and it doesn`t bother me, i pretty much have no choice due to winter being so cold and the fact that i live in a second story appartment with no back yard. i have already listed which ones need dormancy and which one can afford to skip one due to being so young, but i haven`t any background on the age of my cp so it`s kinda ``iffy``. i gues i`ll just hope for the best and try not to kill my precious little ones.

that is what i plan on doing every year and it doesn`t bother me, i pretty much have no choice due to winter being so cold and the fact that i live in a second story appartment with no back yard. i have already listed which ones need dormancy and which one can afford to skip one due to being so young, but i haven`t any background on the age of my cp so it`s kinda ``iffy``. i gues i`ll just hope for the best and try not to kill my precious little ones.

i pretty much have no choice

well..technically you do have a choice..

if you dont have proper growing conditions right now..(which you dont..)
you can choose to give the plants to someone who does, and choose to not grow those particular
plants until you can provide proper conditions for them.

"hoping for the best" wont work...

Scot

Even if the sarrs and other temprates are going to die... that is a cool design and the integration of the fish, really cool. maybe not the best way to do it, but i think its a great idea.

Back