What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

are t8 bulbs safe in t12 shop lights?

I have 3 4ft walmart t12 shoplights for my plants. I decided to try 2 t8 bulbs in one fixture. They seem much brighter than the t12's. Is this safe? They have only been in for about 1hr and seem to run at the same temp as the t12's. If this is safe, I am putting in t8's in all my fixtures.
peace,
Zero

I did ask the same question to an electrician and he said it's completly safe

The brightness may simply be a factor of the different bulb. Fluorescent bulbs are not all created equal and lumen output can vary considerably between different bulbs of the same size and wattage depending on what phosphor is used. Another factor is the glass surface area. If you were to compare a T12 and a T8 with exactly the same specs the T8 would be brighter because the bulb is narrower and there is less glass surface, so the light is not spread out as much as it emits from the bulb.

Also don't forget that new bulbs do light up more than old ones!

i study in electricity, and i second that, it`s safe, and 2. it IS brighter because there is more current/inch² in a t8 compared to a t12. go for it!

But don't forget that lumen dispersal.
The number is the size in 1/8 inch for the bulbs diameter.
T8: 1" diameter, 3.1415" circumference
T12: 1.5" diameter, 4.7123 circumference
Now if I where to be given the choice between a T8 at 1600 lumen and a T12 at 1600 lumen, the t12 wins based on area of coverage.

Now I'm going to say don't let that be your only factor. T8 runs cooler and typically at a lower wattage.
Add overdriving the bulbs into the game and your really want to go with T8.

I encourage learning how to modify you lamps. Relocating you ballasts so that their heat is not a factor.

so far so good, some neps are getting redder leaves. Since they are t12 40w shoplights, won't the t8's be overdriven?
thanks,
Zero

No,if you look at the fixtures box it says they'd take 20 watt T8s.
So 2X of them and you get 40 watts :)
I've done T8 not happy with them ,(needs to be close)
but if you have them close then your set.

Back