What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I make my minibog all Sarracenia or all Venus Fly traps?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
Winter is coming up so I would like to start a minibog at that time. I'm having trouble deciding between a minibog filled with Sarracenia pitcher plants or all Venus Fly traps.

What do you think?

All Sarracenia, hands down. So much more variety and beauty. Sarracenia bogs are ten times more impressive than Dionaea bogs. Dionaea all look the same pretty much.

xvart.

Why not just mix them all?

if you mix em, unless you plan well you'll end up with the tall sarr's blocking the light from your vft's which leaves you with dead vfts...

Sarrs to the north, VFTs to the south..
the sarrs will never shade the VFTs:

CP2008-060.jpg

Scot

I second Xvart, but that's just me. Scotty, it looks great, but I don't like the fact that it's split in half. My opinion, though.
Hope you choose soon ;)

I say minibog: VFTs. Maxibog for Sarracenia! Or, at least, a larger container than the VFTs. What size pot are you using?
~Joe

I say minibog: VFTs. Maxibog for Sarracenia! Or, at least, a larger container than the VFTs. What size pot are you using?
~Joe

I have various size ones. My largest container has a two foot diameter.

Well, I think a bog planting looks best when the plants are shorter than 1/2 to 1/3 of the pot's width. If the pot is proportionate to the plant, it looks more like a specimen planting than a community one. Root depth is also a consideration - most Sarracenia do best when they can send roots down deep. If I were going for a bog effect with Sarracenia, I'd probably choose a whiskey barrel or something of like size.
~Joe

I think scotty's bog is freaking AWESOME!
talk about a sweet bog... quick everyone back to the drawing board...

that'd be a good example of when I said unless you plan well :)

xvart knows something about a small minibog I rescued up here in lawrence, needless to say it bounced back from the brink of doom to absolutely crowd this pot haha

DSCN8611.jpg

xvart knows something about a small minibog I rescued up here in lawrence, needless to say it bounced back from the brink of doom to absolutely crowd this pot haha

Well would you look at that?! It certainly wasn't that full when it left my mom's house, I'd say, lol. A plant in need is a plant indeed. Nice pot.

xvart.

I'd at least have some dionaea or, for even more variety, a few drosera. The dews add a nice touch to the bog, kind of give it a more natural look. All sarracenia bogs bore me. I think all Dionaea could be cool if you do it right. Just look at WildBill's "field of screams" pic and you'll know what I mean.

Back