What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

home automation refs

Nifty. I'd recommend getting the board that's already together, unless one wants to take on the challenge of soldering. I wonder how good the software is that comes with the board? I'm not much on programming, though visual basic was one of the easier languages that I had to take in college. Good information Av.

It seems this can be as easy, or as complicated as one wants to make it with getting the system up and running and customizing it to one's needs.

Crystal

That is definitely cheaper than the relay controller boards I was looking at. I wonder if there is USB to parallel port adapters because i would hate to be limited to just one board. the ones i was looking at were USB and could be expanded to 256 relays. To get started though heck yeah that is a better option!! Thanks for the research Butch!!! YOU THE MAN!!!

Cool cool. I did a search but most of the parallel to USB conversions were of the printer type and not the type on the back of the computer, but there was one in Newegg that was the proper plug configuration!!! COOL!!! Might be some ways to save money there with the cheaper controllers and still be able to connect multiple to one computer! WOO HOO!! I can't wait to get to work on the automation!

Home Automation Ref.

There are several home automation technologies out there depending on the requirements - many have different cabling requirements. I would recommend DIY kits. They've got a bunch of wireless and hardwired DIY kits that can be used with their inexpensive monitoring service. For a small to medium-sized townhome, a wireless kit may be good for you.
A very good option would be a company called Mile High Automation. I have installed an integrated system called Home Automation Platinum Package: Whole-House Solution.
It's got:

* Omni Pro II Home Automation Controller
* 1 Touch Screen
* 2 LCD Keypads
* 6-Zones of Audio
* 17 Automated Light Switches
* 20 Security Contacts
* 2 Thermostats
* Computer Control Software
* Complete Programming & Support

You can start with just the alarm system and grow it to a fully functional home automation system.

You can also submit your floor plan and can get free estimate plan to implement DIY systems in your home.

For Home Automation Product and services-
Dream System
Free Home Automation Estimate

Cheers
Eric

Thanks Eric, but the automation we are talking about is temperature monitoring and then controlling the necessary things to either cool or heat the grow room. Then have the ability to override it via the internet. There would be no need for a monitoring service. The computer will have preset parameters to follow otherwise.

Back