What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How can I encourage mosses to grow in my minibog?

Wolfn

Agent of Chaos
How do I encourage mosses to grow in my minibog? The surface will be a mixture of peat and sand.

While we are on the subject of the minibog, when would be the best time to order Venus Fly traps and American pitcher plants?

its best to order those plants in the spring when they come out of dormancy in my experiance....Also, it depends on the moss your trying to grow, you could take some live LFS, chop it up into fine pieces and press the bits into the soil, it should grow from that...Or you could just press the full strands into the soil. thats if your trying to grow sphagnum, star mosses and carpet mosses usually just occur from spores in the peat

like he said, spring is the best time, they need dormancy and it is pointless to get a plant that you can`t enjoy until 3 months later (end of winter), keep it on hold for now. perlite is also a good part of your medium you should consider, promotes aeration and won`t settle as much as sand.

encourage it by keeping it moist all the time... and not too hot. misting helps.

How long until the soil is covered with moss? I want the moss to cover the soil before the rainy season (I don't want peat splashing all over the plants when it rains)

it can take awhile Ahmad, but somtimes it covers it rapidly if grown right

Back