What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lighting Question

Dimka

Sundewist
Hey guys, since I'm restarting with CPs I kinda decided to redo my terrarium, and with it, I redid the lighting as well.
I used to have 4 light bulbs from 23-36W something like 1300-1600 lumens each with 5000-5500 K, at about 10 inches and it was alright, but I wasn't that thrilled about it, not to mention it got hot as hell in there. Today I went to Home Depot and bought new light fixture and with it a new bulb. It is actually a flood light for illuminating 70 by 70 yards of lawn and I'm using it on a 10 gallon terrarium from 9 inches lol. The bulb is Fluorex 100 Watts, it says on it 6500 Kelvin=10,050 photopic lumens=6,700 and CRI is 80. I heard that the 10,050 lumens are not real or w/e and the real number for plant growing is lower. Is it the 6700? I tested it on my terr for a few hours and the temp only got up to 32C and there is plenty of open space all around it to allow for air movement. It is also so bright that trying to look at it is like looking at the sun, blinds you instantly.
I dont have anything growing in the terrarium right now because I don't have anything at all lol, but just wanted to get ready for when I get the little guys.
So I'm just wondering if this light is ok or not.
Thanks to all who respond.

P.S.
Oh yeah, they were also selling VFTs in Home Depot and I couldn't resist buying one :) So now I do have something growing, but not in the terrarium.

I haven't used them but they are inexpensive and do a very good job for lighting grow racks and terrariums. I have heard that the ballasts sometimes burn out rather easily but for the price and the amount and quality of the light it is hard to beat.

I use two of the 65 watt ones because I could not find the 100 watt online. To me they are very good lights. Super bright. All my dews are full of dew and the neps colored up real nice. They will heat up though. In my basement highland set-up if I close it up the temps get into the 80's. It's also a pretty big area too. So it might get way hotter if using on just a 10 gallon. What are you trying to grow?

I'll grow only subtropical/tropical dews and maybe a ping or two in there. It is set up like a bog - layer of perlite on the bottom, then a layer of dry sphagnum (to prevent the washout), then a layer of peat moss/perlite/minuscule amount of sphagnum, then a layer of live sphagnum (getting it any day now) and plants will be planted on the top of it all. It takes about half the depth of the terrarium. Worked very very well before... maybe I'll remove some of the soil...
I ran the light for a few more hours and the temps did go up to 98, making the temp range from 70 to 98. Luckily I set up the light in a way that allows me to freely move it up and down, so I think I'll move it up a bit.

Well as long as you are not trying to grow highland neps in there is there should not be a problem. Maybe try some wolly sundews. They like it hot. Post some pics if you can.

How far away should I keep these lights from the sundews? I tried various distances and at about 7 inches the temp is 98, at 9 it is 92, at 10 it is 90 and at 12 it is still 90... I can raise it more but I fear the light will not be enough... So what do you think? Or mb I should just try experimenting with the plants... Or maybe I should try covering the top with some plexiglass?

I installed the diffuser which came with the lighting fixture. That considerable lowered the inside temp. However I'm afraid the diffuser absorbs a lot of light. Does it? Just to be on the safe side I moved the light down to about 8 inches above the ground level. This brought the temp up to 84 (but in comparison with 98 that it was at the same distance without the diffuser, I think its very well), and at this short range the amount of light seems to be the same as without it, to my eyes at least. Guess I'll just have to wait and see how the plants react... when I have plants in there lol.
So the question is does the diffuser absorb a lot of light? Or is it ok?
Thanks!

how 'see through' is the diffuser? If you hold the diffuser over half the fixture and let the light shine down on a white piece of paper. Is there a noticeable line between the light from each side?

Maybe you can get a clear piece of glass or something to block the heat from the fixture but let the majority of the light through? The heat isn't coming from the light as infrared, it's coming from the surface of the bulb that gets hot to let the phosphorus glow. So it isn't a radiant form of heat.

for your temperature problem, you can buy two 12 volt computer fans, put them in parrallel, and plug them into a 12 volt transformer and your set, just put the at either end of your setup and voila! you should get adequate ventilation and you wont have to worry much about mold and fungus. Good luck! (cost me about 20$ for mine, works great, lowers humidity though)
Steven

Back