What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Outside Stuff

Yep, there ya go!

The top layer of media never dried out once.

wow, it wicks all the way through the top? so instead of doing the tray watering, its the reserve watering?

Yes, it does a really good job keeping the entire bog hydrated. It wicks water through the entire bog container. Not sure exactly what you mean about the watering tray. It would be a bit difficult for me to use the tray method on my two bogs. One is 18 gallons and the other is 20 gallons. Now the smaller containers do very well on the tray method and I don't have any kind of reservoir in them. They are simply too small; the container that would be the reservoir would need to be so small for them that it's not worth it.

lol, i mean the reservoir would act like water tray on bigger bog.

Pretty much.

nice crissy, all of my outdoor bogs are dormant, or about to be dormant...Ill move em into the shed here in a couple weeks when the temps get too rough.

Mine are in the process of going dormant too. Most of my dews have formed their resting buds. I just emptied and removed the water trays. I don't know if I'm going to try to move the bogs or not. I may just decide to mulch them and leave them be. The smaller mini-bogs/pots will be moved out of the weather within the next couple of weeks.

Crystal

Mine are in the process of going dormant too. Most of my dews have formed their resting buds. I just emptied and removed the water trays. I don't know if I'm going to try to move the bogs or not. I may just decide to mulch them and leave them be. The smaller mini-bogs/pots will be moved out of the weather within the next couple of weeks.

Crystal

My bogs are too big to move and I've always just let my Sarras push through the winter here. They usually make it through great and come back stronger the following year. The only ones I'm concerned with losing are the Florida species and hybrids. I bet they do fine though. The only reason I'm a little concerned with them is I lost a couple D. filiformis 'Tracyi' last year to the cold I think.

Mine are too big for me to move by myself which will mean they will probably stick it out in the weather this winter.

Good to hear you have good success with dormancy. I've had problems in the past. I hope to do better this year. Last year I lost a lot of VFTs and some D. filiformis species as well. They were either too wet and rotted or became too dry and died. I'm using larger pots for the most part this year; should be more stable I hope.

Good luck with your Florida plants. I'm sure you'll do just fine with them :).

Crystal

you seem to be quite popular! i`m real anxious to see these pics (i`m at work now...) i really want to know how you setup your reservoir, as soon as i have a chance, i`ll check it out! i`m sure it`ll work great for me as well, i`m just curious to see how it is placed it the bog. congrasts on the many kind comments you have received, i`ll post my thoughts when i `get a picture` of what they are talking about...
Steven

Thanks bloke! It's really nothing fancy. It'll make more sense when you have a visual. Is photobucket blocked at work?

Crystal

I am going to have to try your watering method....I have a pond liner that I was thinking of making a bog out of but I was not sure about watering.

great stuff crystal!

never gets old :)

USMCSKI it works great. I rarely have to water my bogs. That's what two of my bogs are, pond liners. They do a very good job and don't break down like the rummbermaid containers do.

Thanks Chris!! I'll try to get some updated pictures posted soon.

Crystal

alec - The rosetted Drosera you are seeing were sent to me as D. sessilifolia seeds a couple years ago. There's a chance they may really be D. burmannii though. Does anyone know how to tell them apart? A friend mentioned D. sessilifolia appears more red while burmannii seems to stay all green. I appear to be seeing this, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

Here's a Fernando explanation via Bob Z. photofinder:
Fernando Rivadavia says "many of these links are not D. sessilifolia". So be cautious! D. burmanni and D. sessilifolia are often confused, especially since hybrids of the two are common in cultivation. D. sessilifolia: leaves orangish-yellow, more rounded, flowers pink, flower scape erect, wider more parallel petioles, round laminas, and is glandular on the petiole AND the back of the leaves. D. burmanni: leaves yellow-green, more triangular, flowers white, flower scape often with a curve at the base”.

Back