What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Growing Outdoors in New Mexico

Ok, Familiar stuff first:

My minibog shows excellent progress. :)

From late spring or early summer:

IMG_8925.jpg

IMG_8927.jpg

IMG_8923.jpg

Now:

IMG_9787.jpg

IMG_9790.jpg

IMG_9795.jpg

Now, for the new stuff:

An outdoors growrack.

IMG_9767.jpg

N. ventricosa - it's showing some sunburn in certain areas.

IMG_9768.jpg

IMG_9769.jpg

IMG_9780.jpg

IMG_9782.jpg

Sarracenia seedlings, plastic bag removed:

IMG_9783.jpg

N. sanguinea....It got eaten by a colorful grasshopper!

IMG_9770.jpg

N. Lady Pauline - look at the leftmost leaf. It got eaten by the rainbow grasshopper! I was able to rescue it from the hungry insect just in time.

IMG_9778.jpg

D. capensis and D. binata

IMG_9779.jpg

U. gibba

IMG_9777.jpg

Cacti seedlings

IMG_9774.jpg

Jimmy

Wonderful mini-bog
What type of cacti?

I have three different kind of Ferocactus seedlings, I think, and one species of Echinocereus seedlings. I'm not sure what the fifth pot of seeds is, off the top of my head, but I have it written down somewhere. I can get the names later. :)
And thanks for the compliment!

Nice pics. Too bad about the N. sanguinea - it looks like it's going to pull through though.
I wanted to point out that you might have more success if you move the U. gibba into a large, opaque (preferably black) container. If you can include some other aquatic plants, it'll be even better. Sphagnum can grow aquatically, but in my experience it usually doesn't do well like that in cultivation. Best luck!
~Joe

Lol, I don't think the sanguinea will make it - It got chomped pretty bad by the rainbow grasshopper. And the N. Lady Pauline would have suffered the same fate if I had not discovered the grasshopper and beat it off the plant - you can see a chomp left in the leftmost leaf!

Thanks for the pointers on the U. gibba. I was planning to move it to a better container sometime soon. My little bro has some type of aquatic plant that I could put in with the U. gibba.

@SeanH,

Here are the names of the cacti seeds that I sowed:

CS1: Stenocactus phyllacanthus violaciflorus
CS2: Echinocereus fitchii
CS3: Ferocactus peninsularis vizcainensis
CS4: Ferocactus emoryi rectispinus
CS5: Ferocactus wizlizenii

The CS#s are simple seed batch codes, to make labelling the pots easier. The Ferocactus seeds are very easy to sprout.

@Capensis,

Thanks!

Updated. :)

Very nice collection there sorry your sanguinea got eaten like that it might recover who knows maybe it'll make a basal there's hope also glad your N. Lady Pauline is ok and your N.ventricosa is looking good and nice looking mini-bog too nice growth from before and now.

Nice outdoor growrack I think I saw that one at wall-mart or lowes I forgot which and what's in the container in the very bottom of the growrack?

Those sarracenia seedlings looks cute I might try and germinate some in that type of container like that also cute cactus seedlings I can't wait to see them when they grew some more. =)

Thanks Bluebird, :)

I got the growrack at Wal-Mart, and that container at the bottom is full of water, to weigh the rack down so it doesn't blow away.

Those cacti seedlings grow a little bit more each day, and they should look mighty menacing when they are older. I can't wait either!

Do you keep the cacti seedlings covers(i.e ziplock, plastic lid) or just keep it evenly moist? Anyways everything looks real nice.

Hey Sean,

The cacti are kept uncovered in a tray of water to keep it evenly moist, because the 1 part vermiculite : 1 part cacti mix is normally way to dry for good germination. It's definitely not the best way to grow these, but it works, and it's all part of the learning process. I only used half of the cacti seeds of each species, so that I can try again on pure cacti mix in the spring.

Back