What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

metal halide for neps or dews/pings/other

So I have a grow rack.
right now everything is on one shelf with 4 T12 40 Fluorescents, but I got a 175W metal hal from my friend and I want to use it.
I was thinking of having the metal halide over a higher shelf for nepenthes, but I changed my mind because I was thinking it would be too much light for neps and the T12s would be better suited for them. do you guys agree?
Another question: the neps are highland, and the halide will be really hot when its on, has anyone had any experience with the metal hal and highland neps?
any comments?
Would dews and pings appreciate the extreme heat and light more than neps?
Sorry I'm rambling, I'm just not sure what to do.
thanks

I would say highland neps would not appreciate the temperature from a metal halide. I know petiolaris complex dews like to be warm, and my pygmies do well outside in full sun. I'm not sure about pings, it would depend on the type.

I'd say the MH would be put to better use on dews than on neps. Neps don't need extreme light even if they'd tolerate it.

What kind of MH is it? There are a ton of different light spectrums, etc.
(If it's from an aquarium, it's probably ok)

sarrs maybe

the MH might work for sarrs if your somewhere you can't grow them outside.

just a thought
D

Back