What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some quick photos of my terrarium

These are the same pictures I just posted in my introduction, but I figured I'd share them here, along with some specs. The terrariums is an 18 x 18 x 24 inch Exoterra glass terrarium, with a front opening. I got rid of the screen cover, and replaced it with a sheet of glass. The clips that held the screen in place prop the glass about 1/4-1/2" above the rim of the tank, providing ventilation, and there's a 3" fan for circulation. For lighting, I use a 6500K 96W Coralife Powerquad compact fluorescent. The bulb has gotten a little old, though, but I have plans to upgrade this into a 75 gallon after New Year's. The Cephalotus and Heliamphora I've had for about 2 1/2 years, and the young Cephalotus are from cuttings I took about a year and a half ago. Most of the plants in the setup are miniature orchids.

Full terrarium
P1010321.jpg

Heliamphora minor
P1010318.jpg

H. minor, and the parent/young Cephalotus
P1010325.jpg

Wow, that is incredible! Just wow. I love your H. minor. What kind of Nepenthes is that?

I bought the Nepenthes as N. aristolochioides...however, the traps don't look anything like photos I've seen, though I'm not sure if that's because my plant is so small. I've had it for nearly 2 years, and it's taking its time...I managed to snap a blurry picture of a trap, though. I didn't realize how blurry it was until I put in on the computer, and I'm too lazy at the moment to go get another, so forgive me for the terribly quality.

P1010323.jpg

The mouth isn't quite right. It might be x maxima or x tangleis (sp)?

I'm pretty sure it's an aristo. Or maybe argentii...but that's just me. Lol. I'm not quite sure. It looks nice, though! And not small at all.

Haha...oh man would I love it if it were argentii. It'd save me quite an investment, since that's the next one on my list. Though that means I'd still have to buy aristolochioides again anyway. It only cost me $12-$15, if I remember right, so I'm not too torn up if it's something else. As for me mentioning it's small, I suppose that's because it's definitely far smaller than the eymae and sanguinea I bought at the same time.

Now that I look at pictures, it does resemble argentii, though I was under the impression they only pitcher if they can set the tendrils onto ground first. Perhaps I'll post this guy in the Identification forum after I grab some better pictures after work.

Nice Heli! great terranium. uhh whats the soil hanging off the sides?

If you're talking about the stuff on the Heliamphora pot, it's algae. Sometimes the algae gets overtaken by moss, but I just went through and stripped all the moss out a couple weeks ago. Another month or so, and it'll be back, though.

ohh u stripped the algae off?

beautiful terrarium! excellent!

I would say that your nep is N. aristolochioides x maxima, definantly not argentii, as the leaves are far too spaced. Although i wouldnt completely swear to it haha...

How do you heat it? How about watering all those beauties?! You have an amazing slice of paradise there!

That is a great terraium setup that you have. Well laid out, and it really maximizes your space. Can't wait to see what you will do with a 75 gallon setup. By the way, is that just a computer fan you are using for air circulation?

Nice! I'm really interested in what species of miniature orchids you've got growing in there. I've always wanted to grow some alongside my neps and helis.

Well, as for the fan, I was going to use a computer fan, but am not handy at wiring such things. This is a Coralife Cooling Fan, usually intended for their lighting fixtures, and they've recently started selling them seperately. They come with a disconnect, which is handy for squeezing the wire out through a small opening.

Watering it, well, even after a couple years, I haven't gotten it down. I'd like to say I spray it once in the morning every day, taking particular note to make sure I give the carnivores plenty. But nowadays, I usually slack off, and end up watering it every 2 days or so. The orchids like it, but I think the carnivores (Cephalotus in particular) is protesting at the moment. The mother plant was much fuller and with larger traps beforehand. I use distilled water of course, except when I run out and have to resort to tap, which has happened a few times recently. Probably another reason for the CP protest. The heating is nonexistant...just whatever the room temperature happens to be...usually low-mid 70's.

yeah its deff. not an Aristolochioides.
its probably a hybrid like stated above. possibly spectabilis x aristolochioides. the hunch in the back is a deffinite sign of aristolochioides or klossii hybrids, as far as i know, there are no klossii hybrids available. however there are a ton of aristo hybrids. a better picture would help :p

Yea, yea...I know. My photography skills leave a lot to the imagination. I'll work on getting a better picture tomorrow or so.

As for a list of orchids in the terrarium, I'm only going to go on what I can think of offhand. I'm only listing ones that are doing well in the conditions in the terrarium. There are several that, for whatever reason, are not doing well.

Pleurothallis grobyi
Pleurothallis stricta
Pleurothallis microphylla
Tristella cordeliae
Zootrophion serpentinum
Dendrobium lichenastrum
Dendrobium prenteciae
Dendrobium (Dockrilla) wasselii
Cirrhopetalum (Bulbophyllum) tingabarianum
Ascocentrum miniatum
Neofinetia falcata
Podochilus cultratus
Platystele ximenae

well, im hella impressed! i think im gonna copy you,is that ok? :p

Try hooking up a small drip system, or (cheaper) some pipes connected to a funnel or 2 at the top of your terra.

Have i mentioned it looks REALLY good? :)

Maybe. With the 75 getting set up within the month, hopefully, there's no need to worry about it just yet. And many of the orchids prefer the extra drying out time. I just need to be a little more on-the-ball with the carnivores. I think the Cephalotus is due for a repotting anyway.

Sweet setup. I love the layout with things hanging on the sides. Really makes efficient use of the space. I especially love the Heliamphora minor.

Cheers

Back