What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

need help

Hi, i was looking for a way cool my grow chamber which is about seven feet tall and three feet long by three feet wide cheaply and also to raise the humidity. open to all suggestions.

A misting system might cool the air a bit. Evaporative cooler also work.

It would be helpful to know what temperature range you are trying to achieve and what your room temperatures are.

i'm trying to achive highland temps and the room temp is about 65 to 70 degrees max.

Are there windows nearby? Are you in the temperate zone? If so you could open the windows at night for a few hours before going to bed and shut the door and heat vents to that room. I do this in the winter. I use an exoterra humidifier and misting system when the lights shut off. This begins the cooling process but I have to open window to bring in cool night air if I want to get it down to low to mid 50s. In the hot summers here I will have to use ice or A/C in addition to humidifiers to get temps down to atleast 60F. Depending on where you live a humidifier or mister may only aid in the cooling process. For example if your ambient temperature is 73F, a humidifier will probably get it down to 68F +/- a little due to water being a possibly a little cooler. A humidifier is not going to remove the warm surrounding air. The trick is getting the surrounding ambient temperature down whether via ice, a/c, refrigeration, cool outside air. Cool outside air is why folks in Oregon/upper western US or higher mountain elevations do so well with Highland Neps. See this website: www.cpjungle.com (Go to the CP Jungle Live feed where it updates each chambers growing conditions and equiptment settings every minute). This person (Tenessee gets hot) is using A/C/humidifiers/heaters/thermostats/timers/the works I believe in grow chambers and greenhouses to reach near perfect growing conditions domestically and they can alter these conditions however they would like which could help in plants adapting to uncommon conditions. I've also heard of growing highlanders in more lowland conditions given they adapt to it. Some say its not possible but I've read of very successful growers on this forum growing highlanders in lowland conditions. In my opinion if you want to mimic highland growing conditions indoors you either need to live in the right part of the world or be willing to fork out some bucks/or come up with a way cheaper more efficient way than I have found in a couple of years of research. Hope this helps.

Whenever possible give actual temperature measurements for BOTH day and night. As well as information for any seasonal changes in your local area. Highland/intermediate/lowland means something different to just about everyone out there. A list of plants you are looking to grow also helps as some are more adaptable than others.

In some cases you may only need a small drop in temperature and it might be a simple matter to keep the terrarium in a room that can be shut with an open window for most of the year. In other cases it might require A/C or other active cooling. I know of some growers to go so far as to grow their plants in a converted freezer or refrigerator or use ducts to bring A/C or cool outside air directly into their grow chambers.

The more you have to alter the growing conditions over your local conditions the more complicated and expensive it can become.

ok sorry the plants i am looking to grow are mainly macrophylla. jamban, hamata, highland hybrids, intermidate hybrids, and lowii. I am in zone 6 the day and night in the room is constant in summer about 75 and the rest of the year about 68 to 70. The spot gets about 2 direct hours of light from the sun in the morning and 3 indirect hours the rest of the day. I also have lights which i will use in the chamber which combined with the sun will be on for 8 to 10 hours a day. I want to have the night time temp drop in the range of 10 to 15 degrees. But it the immediate future i think i will just need it for the jamban, hamata, and lowii. ok i think i got it all sorry i'm new to this and thanks for all of you help[/B].

If you want to get it that much colder than the ambient temperature a ac or refrigeration unit is needed.

ok do you think that the plants that i have said could survive in warmer temps

I think all of them would be happy with your normal house temperatures except the N. macrophylla

Back