What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Preparing for a Grow Rack -- Reverse Osmosis Units

If you are on city water they can probably tell you what pressure they run in the pipes.

Will it be enough? Municipal water supply and well system pressures will be lower than the rating for the RO unit. The RO unit will give you water regardless. They work better at higher pressures though. Is it worth a booster pump? I guess that depends on several factors. If the unit takes forever to produce enough RO water, higher pressure will improve the flow through the membrane. If you pay an arm and a leg for water you will waste less since the rejection ratio is better with the higher pressure. But then you are also running an electric pump... Most people forgo the booster pump and get a unit that is rated to put out much more water than they need. Knowing that their pressure is lower and their water temperature is colder so not to expect the same output as the unit is rated at. It is not uncommon to see half the rated output when running a unit on home water pressure and temperature without a booster pump. RO units are so cheap though that you can easily get a larger capacity unit for a small increase in price and deal with the fact that it isn't producing at it's max capacity and still have plenty of RO water in the end.

If all else fails you could if needed add a booster pump later.

Just bumping this with a question. I also am finding my water use is outpacing my ability to make trips to the store water dispenser. Plus it's getting expensive enough that after 1 year the RO unit would actually save me money.

Here's the question: I'm renting right now. It seems that I would to install a saddle valve, which pierces the line. I'm not sure I could do that. So, is there an alternative to this? If not, would I have to replace that section of pipe before moveout?

nightsky,

you dont have to replace anything, the saddle valve can be shut off and left in place being sure to remove the tubing from it. with it shut off it wont leak and home depot has saddle valves for ~$5, just pick up another for the next house, its what i did at the last rent house.

~billy

Hmm, ok thanks billy. BTW, did more searching on this forum, and it looks like you've already purchased from where I was looking at: purewaterclub. They have a 6 stage on sale for $123 and it seemed like a good deal. Was yours a good purchase?

www.marinedepot.com is where I got mine. I got the Captive Purity 3 stage 75 GPD unit ($150 or so), it makes roughly a 5 gallon pail in 2 1/2 hours. If you've got it on manual (you have to turn on and shut off the sink) don't you dare lay down for a nap when you're making water! I've flooded two different downstairs neighbors kitchens making water at the wrong time... lol!

I use a quick disconnect valve on my faucet so I can wash dishes and then make water with the R/O then unplug it and do more dishes or go to bed with a easy mind. I still wake up and dart to the kichen sometimes...

Back