What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A year in the life of my CPs in North Texas/Dallas

Hey all,

I'd like to start here a thread where I will follow my outdoor CPs (Sarrs, temperate sundews, VFTs) through one year of growing in North Texas. This thread is largely inspired by scottychaos' "year in the life" threads, which are awesome for you folks up north.

Why am I doing this? First, I want to create a resource for others who are thinking about growing CPs in North Texas, or who already grow CPs and are moving to North Texas (like I did 6 months ago). Secondly, North Texas has a very unique climate, different from much of the rest of the US: summers are dry and very hot (temps near 100F), while winters are cold (at or near freezing at night). Spring and Fall are just wonderful though, nice temps and humidity. Growing CPs in North Texas presents challenges different from growing up north, and this type of specialized information can be hard to find.

So here goes:

Part 1: Midwinter

We are now in about the second month of winter here. Highs have averaged in the 50's, with lows in the 30's. We have had several nice days with highs in the 80's, and some cold nights in the 20's. Twice we had freezing rain, with icicles clinging to plants outside.

Unlike when I lived in Boston, I'm keeping my CPs outdoors in winter. The CPs are in trays with about 1/2 inch of distilled water. It can take several weeks for the water to evaporate. My CPs are kept in "mini-greenhouses", to protect them from the cold and sometimes dry winter air. Plus they keep the birds and squirrels from digging around in the pots.

IMG_0436.jpg

Sarracenia
IMG_0443.jpg

IMG_0444.jpg

IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0455.jpg

IMG_0456.jpg

Some S. oreophila seedlings that sprouted last spring
IMG_0445.jpg

Venus Fly Traps

These have really colored up since the onset of winter: nice, red traps. They hardly look dormant!

IMG_0441.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

IMG_0446.jpg

uhhm, whered you get that mini greenhouses? the little camps :O do you keep it during the growing season? And very nice, if i had one of those id sleep in there ^^

Sundews

D. intermedia
IMG_0449.jpg

D. filliformis
IMG_0451.jpg

I also have some "tropical sundews" outside, that are also withstanding the winter fine

D. binata
IMG_0452.jpg

D. capensis
IMG_0440.jpg

do you grow yearround? :O

Back