What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Terrarium

Hi, I am Crazycow73 and I am completely new to terrariums, planting, and all that stuff. I was wondering, what is a good way to start? I want a drosera and I live in PA so I thought I might need a terrarium. I have a big space in my bedroom but I have no idea where to get a decent terrarium? When I do get a terrarium, what are some things my drosera will need? I want to make it look pretty too so can you give me any tips on how to spice it up with some rocks and other plants? Thanks for your time! I really appreciate it! Also, it would help to name some stores where you bought this stuff.:hail:

What size terrarium are you looking at? And what is the budget?

The budget is around $150-200. If it comes down to it, I guess I won't need the pretty rocks in it too.

You really don't need a terrarium to grow drosera in PA. You could grow drosera filformis ssp filformis outside year round. You could also get something like a drosera binata (a personal favorite) and grow it outdoors in the summer and bring it indoors in the winter and put in next to a cool window and it will likely go dormant there. If you don't care about putting your drosera out during the year and you have lower light conditions you could try drosera adelae. If you can provide the light there are many others you can grow (capensis, spatulata, etc) all without needing a terrarium. Basically if it's easier for you to keep your plant in a terrarium go for it but it's far from necessary and you'd probably be better off thinking about things like light levels.

very few drosera require high humidity......ive grown lots of species in low humidity.....actually for most the high humidity of a closed terrarium combined with the low air circulation usually means rot......

I really wanted to get a terrarium because I always thought they looked cool. Also, there is no possibility of keeping it outside. I really do not have a front or back yard.

I suggest a Drosera Adelae because this can be grown in shady or sunny conditions. Just make sure to keep the humidity above 50% and the soil wet, and you'll have a happy plant.

Here's a pic of a Drosera Adelae I googled.
D_adelae1_JUL_18_2002.jpg

That is a really pretty one. How do I control the humidity? Sorry for the dumb question. Just remember I am completely new to this.

That is a really pretty one. How do I control the humidity? Sorry for the dumb question. Just remember I am completely new to this.

Well, I have my Adelae growing in a four inch pot, the soil being sphagnum moss with the top 1/2 inch being pure peat. I keep this constantly wet. This keeps the humidity around the plant. If I know the air will be dry or something, I put a large plastic cup over the pot, acting as a humidity dome.

However, you can grow these plants on windowsills just about anywhere. You would have problems only if you live in desert areas.

*edit: Here's what I mean by humidity dome:
thisone2-1.jpg

Okay thanks. I will try that. You guys were a big help.

Well, I've heard adelae doesn't actually require high humidity. And I wouldn't recommend using a humidity dome as it would cause mold or rot the plant.

You might also want to check out a Mexican butterwort. These tend to thrive on sunny windowsills with average humidity. Not to mention they have lovely flowers.

mexicanbutterwort1.jpg

You could always get a cheap 10g (cracked or not it really doesn't matter), put a few daylight compact flourscent bulbs on it and decorate it up nicely. The cost would be pretty low. Then once you get addicted you can move up to a nice 4 foot grow area!

You can get a good 10 G aqaurium for under 30, that was my first terra, everything is growing succesfully.

Good idea! I think I have an aquarium in my shed. I will go get it out, buy some lights, get some pretty rocks and shabam! Awesome first terrarium ftw. Oh by the way, what is good soil to put into it?

Depeds on what you are going to plant , if you want to put in pings, use 1 part: Part sand or perlite, Sundews work well in this mix. If you want to put in neps ( Which preferably be put in their own pots) you should make a highly airy and well drained mix that includes, LFS, perlite peat, Bark, and many more organic compunds you can get your hands on. It all comes tot eh type of CP you want o plant.

But don't acutally put the soil in the terrarium. It will make your life harder. Weeds, disease, and root rot from undrained conditions will occur if you try to have a sort of planted terrarium.

You might also want to check out a Mexican butterwort. These tend to thrive on sunny windowsills with average humidity. Not to mention they have lovely flowers.

mexicanbutterwort1.jpg

Btw, does anyone know what butterwort this is? I think it might be a hybrid.

Ahmed,
That Ping looks exactly like my P. agnata. Mine is growing in a terrarium with many other Drosera and Pings. It works great for me! No rot and very dewy sundews! I grew a D. adelae outside of my terrarium and I did not get any dew. I live in northern California near the coast (and California Carnivores) and the natural humidity is fairly high %30-%50.

Btw, does anyone know what butterwort this is? I think it might be a hybrid.

Basically with a terrarium you are doing the same thing as that plastic dome, only with glass. And upside down.

You want to keep your plants inside their own pots, which you keep sitting in the terrarium to keep the humidity up.

A lot of people turn the terrarium on it's side so they can get into it like an oven, that's also an option.
http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq6010c.html

Myself, I am going to try a plant rack instead. This is the setup I am attempting to copy:
http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111080

Back