What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.ampullaria

I was wondering; because N.ampullaria can be kept much wetter than other N. species without fear of rot, can you keep it in a water tray like you would for sarracinas and VTF?

I grow all my neps on a tray system. It comes down to how carefully you watch the soil and water levels. The trays should go dry for a few days so you don't rot your neps. Watch for a rotten egg smell. It means that your conditions are to wet and there is not enough oxygen in the media.

i wouldnt do it quite personally, though i imagine it wouldnt harm it so long as you let the tray dry out for a few days in between waterings, and id still only water from the top

My entire nep collection is more or less on the tray system. It allows me to be "lazy". What i usually do is completely flood the pot, so water flows down into the tray and overflows out of the tray. This water then drops into the pot below it, and so forth, so all i really have to do is water 8 plants and like 60 get watered! Woohoo!

Sounds good. I'm having trouble with my N. Amp. It looks like ****. It's going brown and the like. Soil mix is a layer of expanded clay, LFS and then live LFS. *sigh*

To tell you the truth. I have failed with N. species and though I have only ever killed one plant, they always look like crud. I think it must be my temperatures here. I'm thinking about giving up, to tell you the truth. *sigh*

My new amp looks terrible, too. In fact, I think the plant may be beyond hope now. I got it, and it was wayyy too big for the terrarium, so I had to windowsill it, and it completely dried up. Oh well. I'll leave it for a while and see what happens, though.

yikes yeah I had that same thing happen with a rafflesiana I got. I tried to make it a house plant it started to go then I put it in my terrarium and it still kept dying. RIP

my amp 'green' doesn't seem to mind it being wet...though its not sitting in water...its in a terrarium like thing...humidity has to be at least around 75-90% and it gets light 10+ hrs a day(from a regular aquarium light)...there is a heat matt on the bottom of the tank, so the wall and the plant itself are constintly covered in drops of water..and its growing putting out its second pitcher, but it isn't water logged i havn't watered the plant in forever do to the tank being almost sealed off and the condinsation falling from the aquarium hood or walls when enough water is accumilated...there is a little area that lets fresh air in...say i water the terrarium once every 2-4 months maybe longer(i add about 1/2gallon of water each time, when i see sphagnum start to wilt or not look green)

the tank has a layer of peat : perlite mix on the bottom then a layer of live sphagnum moss growing...the amp is potted separately

Back